air conditioner - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

air conditioner

I have a 48 Chevy pickup, AC when idling runs cool 38-40 engine temp 180, when on the road AC goes up to 60 engine still at 180, plenty of freon, no leaks, cant figure it out. I ran the lines from AC to passenger fender well then under and up to cab, don't like lines through firewall, cant see how that could have anything to do with it, but figured i would give out all info i can. any ideas

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

It's not uncommon for aftermarket air conditioners to freeze up if the AC thermostat is set to the full cold position; especially in mild but humid conditions. Might try turning the AC thermostat back a little, if you haven't tried that already.

Good Luck....
Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM

thanks i tried that no help
Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

It is NOT uncommon for the heater control valve to be over ridden with the engine going at highway speed ... yet ... function properly when at idle speeds.

I suggest you disconnect the heater hoses.

Or if you have a set of heater hose pinch off pliers ...

On my 56 F-100 with aftermarket heat/air ... I had to install a manual heater control valve to stop the hot water.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-05-2011, 08:34 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

i agree with deuce. i just went thru the same thing. i had done some under dash work that required heater hose removal. i reinstalled them backwards and had ice cold air at idle to 30 mph and at 60 mph it was full heat.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Long shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by restro
I have a 48 Chevy pickup, AC when idling runs cool 38-40 engine temp 180, when on the road AC goes up to 60 engine still at 180, plenty of freon, no leaks, cant figure it out. I ran the lines from AC to passenger fender well then under and up to cab, don't like lines through firewall, cant see how that could have anything to do with it, but figured i would give out all info i can. any ideas
Can you verify that the compressor clutch is cycling at highway speed? The high pressure safety switch (if equipped w/one) will keep the clutch from engaging if the pressure is too high under those conditions.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 PM

thanks guys, i will try the heater hose pinch/removal, how to you check to see if the clutch is engaged at high speeds??
Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
...how to you check to see if the clutch is engaged at high speeds??
You can feel the slight drag in some vehicles each time the compressor runs, but you may have to resort to temporarily wiring up a test lamp made from a small 12V bulb and socket w/a ground wire to it, safely visible to you as you drive (like taped to the cowl area behind the hood). Wire it to the hot side of the AC clutch terminal as an indicator. Possibly someone will have an easier way to tell.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 PM

Got it, will try that also, thanks for the replies
Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 PM

I have not had time to do anything to the truck yet, hopefully this coming weekend, I had someone else tell me it was strictly air flow throught the condenser. I have an electric fan in front of the condenser that is in front of the radiator, on the engine i have a flex fan, this guy told me the flex fan when running at speed, actually blocks the flow coming through it flexes out and makes a wall preventing flow, does this make sense to anyone
Old 10-21-2011, 12:05 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
I have not had time to do anything to the truck yet, hopefully this coming weekend, I had someone else tell me it was strictly air flow throught the condenser. I have an electric fan in front of the condenser that is in front of the radiator, on the engine i have a flex fan, this guy told me the flex fan when running at speed, actually blocks the flow coming through it flexes out and makes a wall preventing flow, does this make sense to anyone
Using a "pusher" fan in front of the rad/condenser along w/a flex fan is not an effecient set-up at all, IMO.

I suppose in a way, a "flex fan when running at speed, actually blocks the flow" does have some credence- the blades do flatten out and lose their pitch as the RPM increases, so at the very least the fan is no longer pulling any air to speak of. If it was close enough to the radiator core, I can see it blocking the airflow through it. Add a pusher fan to this and you have a recipe for poor air flow.

I've found that a fan w/a thermostatically operated clutch will cool as good as anything. And if you believe what's often written about it, this set-up cools w/the least amount of lost power. There are mechanical fans that are much better than flex fans and may even rival the clutch fan set-up for efficiency- at least according to some articles I've read (I don't recall the brand). But having no experience w/them and having a lot of experience w/the clutch fan set-up, I'm comfortable w/recommending it over a flex fan for sure.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Thanks Cobalt, today i took off he front electric fan just to see if there was a difference, there was, temp still went up however from 38 to 58, better than before, soon as i went below 35mph temp started to come back down.Truck never went over 180, its about 74 here today, when temp goes up to 90s in summer i may take off the engine fan and run an electric puller fan if the engine fan is not efficient enough. I went to a buddies house today, he had a couple of clutch fans, however i only have 3 inches between pulley and radiator, the clutch fans were to wide, one 3.25 and one right at 3 next will try and get a fan with no clutch. will keep you posted
Old 10-24-2011, 09:53 AM
WFO

Last photo:

THIS thread mentions a real thin clutch for the fan- might be what will help.

Good luck.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.