Hot Rod Forum banner

Air cooled powerglide change to cooler line flow?

11K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
before the flaming starts i understand this is an old post but i didnt see the need to start another for the same type of questions. i picked up a complete rebuilt aluminum case air cooled powerglide for 100.00 and also came across a 3000 stall for 150.00.Ive been doing alot of reading past few days and with my 2800lb car and the 1.82 first gear i think it will work ok but i need to know how hard is it to convert to a cooler unit and will it handle a 350 +hp sb in front of it

#2 ·
I split off your post to a new thread. Please start a new thread , not add on your specific question to an old thread.

I am not sure what your trans will hold HP wise. How was it built?

What parts used? Which input shaft? Spline design on input shaft

How many frictions in direct drum? Band material used? Friction count in low clutch pack?

What valve body setup? Full manual shift?

1.82 gear carrier is weaker than the 1.76. It is OK for low HP as your application.

What pressure is the unit set to operate at?

Pull the cooler line plugs out, install cooler line fittings. Test for proper flow to see if the builder modified the internal pump for proper flow

#3 ·
First of all, I am not a trans builder by trade, I am an X-Ray tech who did C.A.T. Scanning (now medically retired). But, I do build Powerglides for the local bracket racers; this started when I was still directly involved in drag racing running a rear motored Super Comp Dragster, and did all my own work. To convert an air cooled Powerglide, you first have to remove the plugs from the cooler ports on the passenger side of the trans. Then you will have to remove the cooler bypass valve from the front pump (I only say front pump because a rear pump was also used until about 66-67). I always recommend Carl Munroes book," Powerglide Transmission Handbook ", by HP Books. It is what I use, and for the most part, is up to date. There are some issues some people disagree on.

In his response to this post, Colesy makes reference to "friction count in low clutch pack", but there is no low gear clutch pack in a Powerglide separate of the high gear clutch pack; I think that was probably just an oversite on his part; he is normally right on, and I've learned from his experience.

#7 ·
The powerglide has a reverse clutch pack, a high gear clutch pack, and low gear is the band.
As for low reverse clutch pack there is none, a transbrake works with low gear band applied and reverse clutches applied.
The band for low gear applies around the high gear hub and transmits power through the planetary.
High gear is when band releases and high gear clutches are applied thus a one to one ratio.

cobalt327 said:
I've never done a PG, onlt the TH trannys, but I have it on damn good authority the PG has a low reverse clutch pack.

#8 · (Edited)
cobalt327 said:
I've never done a PG, only the TH trannys, but I have it on damn good authority ;) :D the PG has a low reverse clutch pack.
dgcantrellsr said:
The powerglide has a reverse clutch pack, a high gear clutch pack, and low gear is the band.
As for low reverse clutch pack there is none, a transbrake works with low gear band applied and reverse clutches applied.
The band for low gear applies around the high gear hub and transmits power through the planetary.
High gear is when band releases and high gear clutches are applied thus a one to one ratio.
You are, of course, correct. I need to check my facts more closely, I guess.

From Post #4:
If the trans rolls forward when the trnas brake solenoid is engaged ... this indicates a problem in the low reverse clutch pack

#9 ·
cobalt327 said:
You are, of course, correct. I need to check my facts more closely, I guess.

From Post #4:

I guess i need to address this one more time as I did in an early post in this thread.

i typed low - reverse perhaps out of habit is my guess. The glide rear clutch pack is used for reverse only. When they are applied in low gear , that is a trans brake situation.

The power glide and t-350 use the same friction for low-reverse in the t-350 and for reverse in the power glide in an OEM application.

I guess my brain puts the frictions together with low and reverse since I have answered more questions on 3 speed trans than 2 speed glide over the years.

:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.