Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Air dryer
Thread: Air dryer
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:27 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Basically that's how the commercial drier units work so the idea is sound but I doubt it would be very efficient. Maybe if the air conditioner was big enough and you could box in the core so that all the air from the compressor had to flow past the cooler core but remember it would be under high pressure so I doubt seriously this could be done safely even if the multitude of other problems could be solved. IMO this would be far too impractical but I have to admit it is an interesting idea. A heat exchanger such as a larger auto air conditioner evaporator with the compressed air flowing through it and placed in the air flow from a large high output air conditioner unit would cool the air substantially and would make a water separator work very efficiently. If this separator were to be located just after the air exits the evaporator core while it is still very cool then I would think that most of the moisture would be removed. Not exactly converting and air conditioner to a drier but it would use the AC to make a standard separator work much better.