Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Air dryer
Thread: Air dryer
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You'd be surprised at how much moisture the first trap caught right off the compressor.
I mainly wanted the first one to catch any contaminants (oil,dirt,dust etc) before it went any further in the line but it collected ALOT of water in it also.

Mind me,this was ALL a "redneck" makeshift backyard setup just to get the job done on a few vehicles.
I had an old shed type shop big enough to put a car in and build a makeshift booth.
The shed was 100 foot or so away from the house with no power so, i had to run hoses from the compressor behind the house where 220v is available, so i had 150ft of hose to the shed.

I had the first trap right off the compressor,ran the first hose in a downward circular motion around an old wire fence tomato steak,then to the second trap on the ground below the AC evaporator,then another trap below the exit side of the evaporator and to the gun in the shed.
We came across the idea of using the evaporator in ice but was kind of in fear the last part of the hose laying in the hot sun outside would cause alot more moisture in the line with all that cold air suddenly hitting the hot hose,so long story short we just ran the last part of the hose through some old 2" PVC pipe to keep the hot sun off it and go with that.

It worked WELL,so well i had everything on quick disconnects and only used that whole setup for painting untill i got a better setup to keep moisture and contaminates out of those lines while using air tools.

heard enough of the old"Redneck Engineering" ?...lol