Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Air dryer
Thread: Air dryer
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 10:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You actually went backward in trying to insulate the hot hose, think about it. As long as the air is cold the water is in liquid form, exactly what you don't want, but if it is heated inside the hose it will then become a harmless vapor. (hot air hitting a cold hose would result in liquid water, cold air hitting a hot hose would result in vapor) I know this is the opposite of what we all have been saying forever about cooling the air to remove moisture but remember this is after the separator so now you are stuck with whatever moisture remains in the air in the line so you would be far better off to keep it hot so the moisture would stay in a vapor form. Some of the vapor will condense upon exiting whatever tool is being used at the time but this is still preferable to having the vapor already condensed into liquid on the walls of a cool air hose. I guess my point is that the goal should be to cool the air as much as possible BEFORE it enters the separator so that moisture can be more efficiently removed. But AFTER it exits the separator the remaining moisture is only going to be removed when it exits the hose through whatever tool is being used so at that point hotter air would be preferable in order to keep as much of the remaining water in vapor form as possible.

Last edited by oldred; 09-04-2007 at 10:28 AM.