Air Gap intakes - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

There are many OEM "air gap" intakes. All the engines built w/a valley pan that covers the lifter valley, effectively isolates the hot oil from the underside of the intake. Therefore, they are also "air gap" intakes. So it is nothing new.

In the case of OEM-type "AG" intakes, and in the case of most other intakes regardless of the design- there's a heat crossover to help w/the fuel atomization and to provide faster warm up. On "regular" SBC intakes, often the heat crossover is blocked. The oil underneath the intake supplies enough heat to aid drivability/atomization, but can make for a longer warm up.

In the case of a DD that's used throughout the year, if the weather gets well and truly cold, the lack of plenum heat will cause drivability issues and can even cause excess cylinder wall/ring and valve stem wear from an overly rich air/fuel mixture caused by the choke- required to get going in the AM- or causes a long warm up before being able to drive away if the choke isn't used.

The RPM w/o the notched divider can be modified to be like the notched AG divider if desired, but the "regular" RPM is the intake I will most often recommend and the one I have used w/one exception in the past.

If you don't use the vehicle in cold weather, it is much less of a problem. But until/unless the engine is tuned to take advantage of the cooler intake charge, there's not enough difference to bother with, IMO. Even taking full advantage, do not expect miracles from an AG intake.I believe the notched divider has as much if not more to do w/the Edelbrock AG making more power than anything else.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Dry Heat

Last journal entry: along the weird tale..
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
so if you have the hood clearance for it, it would be a better intake than a regular intake on any engine?
I have just switched from an old Torquer to an Air Gap. The total height difference is little more than 1/8-1/4". The RPM Air Gap is taller...so I used the regular Air Gap

I measured the manifolds..as well as use the data sheets. I was surprised there was so little difference. The appearance is somewhat deceiving as the valley cover design makes the plenum look taller..

I notice a marked difference in low speed response and power. However since I also changed to 1:6 rockers there would be more effective cam...and the dual plane versus single of the old Torquer is also a factor
Nice Edelbrock unit..and Summit sale with $25 bonus.

I will not introduce more political nonsense here..but I prefer American Made items..as I want as many of my friends and countrymen working. The quality with Edelbrock is not a concern..and I like to do a project once..

Last edited by Docc; 09-16-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

The Summit Stage 3 Vortec "Airgap" looks like a good alternative.

No idea where it is made.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:57 AM

I've used both the E-brock Performer RPM manifolds, Air Gap and non, on the same engine. The biggest difference is that the Air Gap looks cooler and provides a dandy spot under the plenum for those small bits you may occassionally drop to hide in.
I'd like to briefly respond to some of the "union" talk here. Having been a an electrician for 30+ years I am dismayed at the attitude of labelling all union activity as negative. My local union required / requires 5 years of training starting at subsistance wages. This provides a well trained labor pool from which a business can choose to draw from by becoming signatory to a contract. If you want to hire off the street that's your right. In the 30+ years I've been in the biz my only hold on job security has been my ability to provide a marketable skill. No paid holidays, sick leave or vacation. You actually give up some "rights" afforded the private sector. You can be let go for no reason - just head back to the hall and sign the book. You get paid a wage and it's YOUR responsibility to take care of yourself when times are tough. It's YOUR responsibility to continue your education and keep your credentials up to date. Like anything else it is not perfect, but if some of you yahoos think showing up for work every day and taking pride in your craft is what brought this country to its knees maybe you should do a little more thinking.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:06 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

I agree 100% with you regarding unions in an open field like electricians and carpenters etc.. However in a closed shop environment, like the auto manufactures, there is no ability to hire off the street so the union workers do not have as much incentive to have the pride in their work that you do. Not that most of them don't take pride or care. But $28/hr to bolt seats in a car? That's entry level unskilled labor, anyone can do. I have no issue with the auto workers, just the union leaders that make money off the union itself and can cash out and move on if a company goes under. If I was a Journeyman Electrician that went through years of training, schooling and certification and found out an unskilled guy can make the same after 10 years of bolting seats in, I'd be pissed. A journeyman electrician certainly has more value than Joe seat bolter. It takes years to replace and train another Journeyman, a couple weeks tops to learn to bolt in seats.

Here's what is real scary, Walmart will soon be going union if this new card bill goes through, which Obama will do anything he can do ensure. If Walmart goes union, they will pass the cost on to the consumers. Then they will go under like the union grocery stores and other union retailers have already. Maybe that will be a good thing as I am no fan of Wallyworld, however I don't think there is enough free capital floating around to create new non-union retail locations to fill the void fast enough.

I had an addition put on my house last year. I insisted the GC used only union labor. Sounds contrary to my normal stance... However I'm not against unions, just closed shops, where the free market doesn't rule. By going with union workers, I paid a tad more but got the assurance that workers had proper training and knowledge. That I would pass the code inspections first time. The important thing is I had the choice. Detroit does not have the choice, they are held hostage by the unions. As are state governments by Teachers unions etc..
Old 09-18-2010, 02:36 PM

Last photo:

Don't use an airgap intake on an engine which sees street use in cool or cold weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi joe
hey landshark928,i will most likley get kicked off this site for saying this,but you and i need to meet mother****er.you don't like american than you can suck my dick in wananamakers windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you're very well versed in the fields of economics and domestic policy.

There do seem to be a few guys on here, though, who have very wise and nuanced perspectives, and who I'd love to chat with over a cold case of miller high life.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:01 PM
WFO

Last photo:

So, "******" is fine w/the Powers That Be? Interesting.

I feel confident that "**********" would have Crosley (on the tranny forum) in an apoplectic fit, and when he recovered long enough there'd be a locked thread, and probably a suspension thrown in for good measure. And I would back him 100%.

I reported the original post, besides asking the poster of this trash to remove it. No response from either party...

While I would not choose to use such language, I suppose it sets a president for those who would love to print such garbage.

I am disappointed by this turn of events. I sincerely hope that the PTB realize what a slippery slope is being created by being lax on this. I am thinking it is only because the moderators of this forum have been away due to other concerns, and have not yet seen this mess.

I will end by asking: "Am I being too "old fashioned" or "hung up" for you? Don't like it? Then you can...* my *"! (see how that works?)

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 09-18-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Profanity. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:53 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Here is a site to find out where it's made,
http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/appliances.html

this has nothing to do with the posting but some will find it handy,
Who actually makes those appliances,
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...view/index.htm
Old 09-18-2010, 03:58 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Well, at least I recognized some of the companies. But not the majority, sadly. A good list, nonetheless, thanks.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:02 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

cobalt and to all,i apolojize for my comments.i don't know how to edit my post off after i said what was said.once again i'am very sorry.............joe
Old 09-18-2010, 04:09 PM
WFO

Last photo:

HJ- pls. check your PM box.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:44 PM

Don't sugar coat it Countryman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi joe
hey landshark928,i will most likley get kicked off this site for saying this,but you and i need to meet mother****er.you don't like american than you can suck my **** in wananamakers windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, Because I don't expect you to Sugar Coat it, thought I'd take this opportunity to ask you how you feel about the label "Made in Israel"?

And, I will add the comment that "If I can't find it "Made in America", my first next choice is Israel and then the Aussies..

My references> Desert Eagle and Bryant cranks.. Both seem basically American to me, in a way...
Old 09-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

For a post made in the "Engine Forum" itīs gone way "Off Topic" and
some of the comments made make this a "Dump" candidate.
Feel sorry for the original poster Turbo1002.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

This thread is locked.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Closed Thread

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.