Air Gap intakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010, 06:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Air Gap intakes

How would the Edelbrock rpm air gap compare to this intake? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...Q5fCarQ5fParts

Would the Edelbrock perform better? Both are air-gap designs for high rpms?

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

need more info what your needs are.plus that is a vortec intake.you need to give all info on your ride..............
Old 09-12-2010, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

Is that actually a Chevy intake? Not clear on who the manufacturer is. Not a Chevy guy, but when I see Ford stuff and it is not clear on who the manufacturer is, it usually means its junk made in China. Some of the Chinese stuff is really bad. Price looks good, but ends up costing where more in the long run.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Looks like the professional product's air gap knock off. You may loose 2-3 hp over the edelbrock, if you believe the mags. But you'll save $80. Unless you're a hardcore patriot you'll be happy with it.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 AM
I give it 110% 90% of the time

Last journal entry: More pics of my garage..
Last photo:

x2 on the pro products intake and x2 on vortec pattern intake

All that aside i have a polished pro products intake on my 468 BBC and it was nice. I have heard of pro products being notorious for core shift to were the bolt hole dont even line up right. as said you get what you pay for I just so happened to get lucky. be leiry of ebay and not being able to return it when it wont bolt up
Old 09-13-2010, 03:45 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

According to the shown part number this is a Pro COMP Electronics intake manifold.

Do not confuse this with a Professional Products, Crosswind manifold.

The Professional Products Crosswind Manifold is a good one.

Cannot comment on the Pro Comp brand manifold that is for sale here.

Jegs sells these PC manifolds now.

If you need clarification on what you are actually buying, ask the seller
before bidding on it. Brand name, part number....

If when you buy an intake manifold regardless of Brand, Inspect it for quality before installing it. If it don`t look right, it ain`t right. Return it for a refund or replacement.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 09-13-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:07 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Is it really hard to spend an extra .20 cents a day to buy an American designed, American made product for your car? Say manifold lasts 10 years (ridiculously small number), that's 3,650 days you use it. $80 divided by 3650 equals .021 cents. Come on! It's more like a freaking dime a day when you figure a more realistic 20 year life. You get tired of it, you can sell it and recoup some of the purchase price.

Chinese crap. Crap aluminum, crap machining, crap development work. CRAP! It's sickening.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

CRD, I understand where you are coming from. But $80 is $80- whether you divide it by 3600 or 36000.

If anyone wants to buy only US made products, be sure to look real close- there are many offshore sourced materials, tools, and et cetera used even by "US" companies.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

Would you consider American racing rims, Crager rims, MSD ingnition and also some of the new Weiand intakes junk? These I have seen myself with my torq thrust D's marked made in china on them, also my new Cragar eliminator 500 rims (really sharp looking) are also stamped made in china. A friend bought the new weiand dual plane which had china right on it too. I did manage to find made in mexico for some replacement msd components instead of "settling" for made in china ones. Here is a list compiled from another site for manfacturers:
"Made In" countries!!

1-Eaton Valves - China
2-King Bearings - Israel
3-Sealed Power Valves - South Africa
4-Mahle Pistons - Mexico / China
5-Callies Cranks - Japan / China
6-Eagle - China
7-Scat - China
8-K-B Pistons - Mexico
9-Speed-Pro Racing Valves - Brazil
10-Ferreas Valves - Argentina
11-S.I. Valves - China
12-Precision Valves - China
13-GMPP Valves - Pakistan
14-Corteco/ROL - Spain / Taiwan
15-Zoom Clutches - China
16-Delco Distributor Parts - Singapore
17-Manley Rods - Israel
18-Dorman Dampers - Korea
19-ACL Beraings - Australia
20-Weiand - China
21-Mr. Gasket - China
22-TRW (Forged) Pistons - India
23-MSD - China
**Note: I have not confirmed all these myself. Maybe others can share there experiences.**
Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

air gaps run great... but..

i'm running one on my bucket and found it didn't want to idle very well... after a ton of troubleshooting i found if i filled in the opening from side to side under the carb it idles much better... just something to think about..
Old 09-13-2010, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

The chinese, koreans, malaysians etc all make fine products. However, its the american business owner who doesn't require attention to detail that should be blamed here. We have some replacement parts that are made in taiwan and china, because no one here is willing to make them in small runs for a reasonable price; and even if they were, no one is willing to pay 12 bucks for a muncie synchro ring. However, we hold our vendors to the print. It was ugly at first, but now we rarely have to reject a part.
Pro Products makes a decent part for a decent price. BTW I did personally get a defective edelbrock intake and had to go round and round to get it replaced (e-brock wanted the catalog vendor to replace it, and they wanted Vic and Co to replace it)...but edelbrock DID replace it soon enough
Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

When someone starts at $28 an hour with great benefits to bolt seats in a Corvette... Unions have killed America's ability to be competitive. Bolting in seats is not skilled labor.

Americans can't compete because American workers feel they are entitled to high paying jobs regardless of skill level. Even non union shops get impacted because they compete for the same workers.

Instead of American's whining about buying American because it's patriotic, how about American manufacturers be more patriotic themselves and go back to what made us great. Hire hard working non union workers so you can make quality products at competitive prices. Our GDP would swing positive and the economy would grow. Sure you won't make $28 to throw seats, but you'll have a job.

Sorry, just real tired of the "Buy American" rants. I'll buy the product that best fits my needs, whether looking for best quality, price or value. If an import and domestic product are equal, I'll go American. If you want my $$ you need to compete like an American, not just whine and complain about how things are not fair.

/let the flaming begin..
Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

hey landshark928,i will most likley get kicked off this site for saying this,but you and i need to meet mother****er.you don't like american than you can suck *****in wananamakers windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 09-18-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Profanity. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Having a strong opinion is one thing, HJ- but you did cross a line.

There's still time to edit the sludge out of your post. We do not need it.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark928
When someone starts at $28 an hour with great benefits to bolt seats in a Corvette... Unions have killed America's ability to be competitive. Bolting in seats is not skilled labor.

Americans can't compete because American workers feel they are entitled to high paying jobs regardless of skill level. Even non union shops get impacted because they compete for the same workers.

Instead of American's whining about buying American because it's patriotic, how about American manufacturers be more patriotic themselves and go back to what made us great. Hire hard working non union workers so you can make quality products at competitive prices. Our GDP would swing positive and the economy would grow. Sure you won't make $28 to throw seats, but you'll have a job.

Sorry, just real tired of the "Buy American" rants. I'll buy the product that best fits my needs, whether looking for best quality, price or value. If an import and domestic product are equal, I'll go American. If you want my $$ you need to compete like an American, not just whine and complain about how things are not fair.

/let the flaming begin..
Have you noticed that every time a union guy looses his job to off-shoring, the price of the thing you buy doesn't come down, but the company's executives suddenly make more money. If I have to buy Chinese, I'll buy Chinese, but I'll D***ed if I'l buy an American branded product at American made prices that comes from China/India.

And yes my circle of choices is shrinking. Needed a new alarm clock a few weeks ago. Everything at the store was made in China. I ended up going to an estate sale and buying an old alarm radio from the 1970's. Really big object for what it does, but it ain't a Chinese made American brand that's faking it.

The intake in question looks like a fair price for a Chinese made part. Sometimes their good sometimes not. For a 140 bucks take a chance.

One thing these Americans who want to sell this stuff are going to have to get used to in the future is deflation. The system will always adjust. As real wages come down so will the cost of goods and services, including houses and property. Deflation is really hard on the rich.

Bogie
Closed Thread

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.