Air Gap vs. Weiand, Performer/RPM, Holley, etc. (again!) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 06:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Air Gap vs. Weiand, Performer/RPM, Holley, etc. (again!)

I did a search on this & didn't find anyone who had gone to an Air Gap from a regular dual plane or vice versa. Has anyone actually changed these out either way & noticed any difference?
It is interesting that "Super Chevy" got quite a broad performance gain in both HP & torque (w/a mild cam & heads) in their Danger Mouse motor when they went from a Weiand #8004 to the Air Gap. I'm wondering if thats true across the board?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2004, 07:06 AM

Last photo:

The regular Edelbrock performer RPM has served me so well I am afraid to try anything else.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:23 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I think Edelbrock claims around 8-10 hp gain with the Air gap over the non air gap. You would brobably not be able to feel that very much. If you already have a non air gap manifold, I dont think it would be worth your while to switch, but if you have none, and are going to by one, I think the air gap is a good way to go.

Adam
Old 12-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Re: Air Gap vs. Weiand, Performer/RPM, Holley, etc. (again!)

Quote:
Originally posted by acr
I did a search on this & didn't find anyone who had gone to an Air Gap from a regular dual plane or vice versa. Has anyone actually changed these out either way & noticed any difference?
I went from an Edelbrock Performer intake to an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap. I used the same carb on both, same timing, cam, heads, exhaust, etc. No dyno figures for you. Seat of the pants difference was noticed mostly in the mid range RPM (2500) and above. There was a very big difference when cruising on the freeway at 65 MPH and flooring it to pass another vehicle. Fuel consumption seemed to be the same. I did experience some icing with the Air Gap under the carb area, when the air temps were in the low 30's and below. This went away once the under the hood temps went up. About 15 minutes of driving.

This all is on the 350 engine that I had in the '28 Ford Pickup in my photo album.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I like the Air Gap intake.

One thing that is nice about them that you don't ever hear is that you can reach the screw to adjust the secondary idle setting on Holley carbs.

There are two things I don't like about them. When they come from the factory the intake bolts are hard to get to. There were a few areas that I had to grind back so that my socket would fit over the bolt head. That was easy to fix.

Overall they are nice intakes. I would either run them for mild to heavy performance on the street. If you are looking for an unstreetably fast street car, go with the Vicotr Jr.

I have no experience with the Weiand street manifolds. I did run the Weiand high rise tunnel ram. It was a little too much for the street, but it I liked it.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:48 PM

which month issue did you see that.i went back several months and haven't come across it yet.not where they only changed the manifold.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

I actually found it on Comp. Cams website where they were reprinting the entire article for their advertising. But it was entiteled "Danger Mouse, Total Recall". It is Test #10 where they added the Air Gap.
FWIW,they were using stock 461 "Camel Hump" heads, a Comp Cam XE256H hydralic cam w/212/218 durat. @ .050,.447/.454 lift., 1.5 full roller rockers, & a Speed Demon 750 carb. All of these were added in previous steps so you can see what does what. The Air Gap had a maximum of 438 lbs of torque (20 more lbs than the 750/Weiand) & 24 more max. HP at 380HP. More important there were significant gains at every step from 2600 to 5600 RPM's. Interesting Stuff if accurate.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:14 PM
It just takes time and money

Last journal entry: Specifications
Last photo:

acr,
My 355 has gone from a Performer, to a Performer RPM, and now to an AirGap. The seat of the pants feel, Perf to Perf RPM, was noticeable. I don't expect as much diff with the Perf RPM to AG. Any of the comparisons, I've seen, of Perf RPM to AG were only a couple of HP. I'm not sure you would feel it. I guess if you had a dyno, you would be able to do the comparisons, and be sure of your choice.
AngliaBob
Old 12-05-2004, 06:24 PM

i rember slightly looking that over when it came out but didn't pay that much attension,but thats too much difference.i'll go back in issues and look it up tonite and maybe get back to you tomorrow.i have an rpm and like it but like an original torker with 2 " spacer better.would like to get something else later.victor jr.,tork link,or you probably can't go wrong with proffesioal products and their edelbrock knock offs for so much cheaper.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by GoneNova/406
i rember slightly looking that over when it came out but didn't pay that much attension,but thats too much difference.i'll go back in issues and look it up tonite and maybe get back to you tomorrow.i have an rpm and like it but like an original torker with 2 " spacer better.would like to get something else later.victor jr.,tork link,or you probably can't go wrong with proffesioal products and their edelbrock knock offs for so much cheaper.
You can go wrong with the Professioinal Products intakes. The casting isn't nearly as good. The port dimensions aren't as accurate.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

You can read the article by going to www.compcams.com
When you get there click on the lower left box that say's "Community". Then, up near the top, right under "Racer Resources" click on "Articles from Magazines". Scroll down to the sixth article under "Chevrolet" & you will see "Danger Mouse Part Nine: Total Recall". Click on that article & read away.

:

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.