air hose leak - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 05:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

air hose leak

any one have any trick to get a air hose to stop leaking. its not the hose itself but where the hoses connect to the tank and the other hose

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Is it leaking at the heads or the copper pipe?? If so just go to you local napa and they will have what you need or use some pipe sealer on the threads and let it stand for a few mins.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

I use teflon tape. No leaks.. I know oldred swears against it, but Ih ave yet to see any problems.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:34 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Are you talking about the quick disconnects leaking? If so, you most likely have a miss-match of male and female couplers.

Trees
Old 09-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

I got tired of my quick connects leaking eventually and my brother swears by the cheap, "universal" (work on both styles) ones so I got one and so far it's been good...
Old 09-25-2011, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

ya quick disconnects leaking their are only 2 styles long and short tip i guess i need to try long tip
Old 09-25-2011, 12:48 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I have this problem with my quick connectors all the time. And I am certain the male and female ends are matching sets (I bought ALL my hoses as matching sets). The only potential non-matching ends are the couplers I buy for each of my air tools...and those rarely leak.

So if someone has the full-proof trick for preventing leaks at matching quick connectors...I'd buy you a beer.

JohnnyK81...where exactly do you wrap the teflon tape? Even better, could you post a picture of how you do it.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

has anyone tried to flare the end of the male to see if it gets a better seal
Old 09-25-2011, 06:05 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I have 8 quick disconnects (females of course) around the shop. 7 are the same style as well as the ends on two hose reels and three miscellaneous hoses. Each of these have the retracting balls that serve as the locking mechanism and have to be pulled back to insert the male end. One quick-disconnect that is on the post of my lift has a different style and you do not pull the collar back to plug into it: just push firmly on the male end. The end of the hose I keep on it has the same style disconnect. Neither of these ever leak and will receive two different styles of male ends with no problem. My other hoses leaked on some of my air tools so I looked them over closely since many are as much as 20 years old. The ones that leaked were slightly shorter than the ones that did not. I replaced the shorter ones with the M style male end which was what the females are and viola! no more leaks. I still have to replace the ends on all the paint guns and accessories. Amazing that this thread came up just as I was eliminating my leaks.

Trees
Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
JohnnyK81...where exactly do you wrap the teflon tape? Even better, could you post a picture of how you do it.
It was my mistake. I thought he meant at the NPT AT the quick connects.. I've never had a leak until this week actually.. Never had a problem.. Read this thread, quick connect started leaking.. sigh.. And I only use Princess Auto quick connects.. I believe the one that started leaking was Harbor Freight.. haha...

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.