Air hose length - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 06:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Air hose length

I am in the process of doiing a refinish of wifeys van and am wondering how long of an air hose I can run from my compressor.The compresor is a CampbellHausfield 220 volt 12 cfm at 40 psi 60 gallon tank.I will use an astro HVLP gun.I have a shed about 150 feet from the compressor and my 220 volt supplyI want to make into a temporary spray booth.Can I use a large (> 1/2 inch) air hose without losing too much air flow or do I have to run a larger permanent underground hose?I even thought 3/4 PVC if buried might be economical but not safe,and I have many tree roots to deal with. .As an aside question, I am wondering if I can use epoxy primer over sanded existing paint and if this will stick to the vans fiberglass shell top (conversion van) I would also like to use blue epoxy primer,Does anyone know if this is available aside from ppg? The reason I am trying to avoid PPG is because of the problems experienced by others on this group.I will use BC/CC Omni probably as it is available locally.Thanks for any replies.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2005, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

air hose

How far do you have to go with it? I have a 3 1/2 horse compressor and have run hose up to 50' with it, running half inch hose, and never had any problems with that.

You might consider what I have done. I have run 1 1/2 inch plumbing pipe across the beams in my garage, with air fittings on them and one has a dryer and gauge with a regulator valve on it.
Besides giving me an ample supply of air at 4 different locations in my garage, with 100 psi, the size of the pipe has greatly increased the volumn over the 20 gal. tank on the compressor.
Each of the 3 outlets on the pipe have valves attatched for draining moisture out of the system.
You might try running that kind of setup out through your yard.
I woul definately bury it below the frost line,
As for needing 220 V, I would make an extention cable using 8/3 (prefered) or 10/3 wire.

Last edited by Max Keith; 01-21-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:49 PM

I need approximately 150 feet of hose, maybe more - to the workshop.I have an area enclosed on one side and around 8 1/2 feet tall that the van can fit under that I will cover with plastic sheeting for a temporary booth. Didnt think I could run that much wire as it is pretty expensive and for what I assume would need 6 gauge for the long run.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

wire guage

It actually depends on what you are going to run off of your 220 tap. At one place where I lived, I didnt have a 220 Tap in my garage, so I made a 60 ft extention cord out of 10/3 and used it with my Lincoln 225 welder, plugging it into the kitchen stove outlet. Never had a problem with it.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:23 PM

How safe would it be to run a temporary air line from 3/4 glued sch 40 or even schedule 80? It would probably be loads cheaper and easier to run above ground but will glued fittings hold up to approximately 135 lbs pressure? This would probably add a little extra capacity to the tank volume and then I could add a temporary cooler.Whadda you guys think?I need intelligent opinions here fellas!
Old 01-23-2005, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

air lines

YOu would be far better of to run 1 inch or larger WOG hose , designed for hi pressures. I would be extremely leary of using PVC pipe for any high pressure stuff. Take the hose and put your Bozo conntections on it and run it out. That way you can haul it in when done and save digging a ditch. Or you could bury the hose and a run a stand pipe of 1 to 11/2 inch plumbing pipe up to the work area. Bury the hose below the frost line and put a field or wrap of pea or polished river rock around it, to allow moisture to drain away from the hose. Burying it at least 24 inches deep will act as a cooler as well, during hot weather.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

i have seen compressors plumbed in with pvc before. the glue joints will hold no problem as long as they are done properly. when you buy the pipe and fittings the psi rating should be printed on the pipe. as long as its rated for a high enough pressure your good to go. only disadvantage to plastic pipe is it doesn't cool the air as good but at 150 foot i dont think it will matter much.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

air hose

I would still go with HP hose over PVC pipe. Its probably good stuff, I just dont trust plastic and glue, with 100 plus PSI in it.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:04 PM

What exactly is WOG hose? Is it expensive?
Old 01-23-2005, 08:16 PM

Last photo:

air hose

WOG means its Water, Oil, Gas approved. And it probably be about $1- $2 a ft depending on diameter.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:00 PM

Well I just went ahead and dug a 155 feet long trench with 1 inch schedule 40 with 3/4 inch galvanized standpipes on either end.Replumbed off the tank with 3/4 inch valve and a tee that reduces to 1/2 inch for splitting off the air supply.Let it dry overnight and slowly opened valve for pressure to build slowly.So far so good and cfm seems quite adequate.No signs of condensation yet either.Thanks for the advice guys.....
Old 02-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Old enough to know better

The issue with PVC is not the pressure rating, it is the failure mode. It will shatter if it suffers a direct impact. If it is exposed in your garage, you can be the reciepient of lots of sharp pieces of high speed plastic. Bury it in a trench for a long run and it should be just fine.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,001 Posts
One of the biggest problems with PVC is it retains heat, so will any hose. You want the hose as short as possible. METAL pipe is best for running air, it disapates the heat and it is safe.

I did a test one day with my cap guage and some different lengths and diameters of hoses. I can't find the darn paper I wrote the findings on but it was clear the larger diameter hose, the shortest it can be is best. A drop of a pound at the cap with an HVLP can make a heck of a difference.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.