Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Air Line Drawings
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 07:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just my 2 cts, 59 when you say "pitch the line away from the compressor" I am assuming you are talking about the angle it is being run (the line closest to the tank) and not the location in relation to the compressor? If so then in theory there may be some advantage to pitching the line away from the compressor but actually when the air is moving (at least in any appreciable volume) the air flow will override any effects of gravity and the direction of pitch will have little effect on the water in the lines during this phase and most of the drainage occurs during the static phase, almost all the water that close to the compressor is going to be in vapor form anyway in which case it will not matter much which way the line is pitched. The compressor being located directly under the line in that drawing might have some effect if the air flow from the cooling fan is blowing directly on it but this effect should be minimal as long as the ventilation around the whole set-up is adequate, I assumed this trade off was done because of space limitations. Heat from the compressor can have a big effect on the lines if ventilation is inadequate because of heat build near the ceiling where most of the lines will be located in a small shop and the heat from the compressor can contribute to this. I looked that drawing over again and about the only mod I see would be to move the compressor away from the line if space permits but if not I think any problems from it would be minor. IMHO I think that set-up is a really slick way of dealing with the problem of finding space to run the line necessary for good cooling and should work really good.

Please excuse me if I misunderstood what you meant by "pitch"

Last edited by oldred; 12-11-2007 at 10:18 AM.