Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   air lines (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/air-lines-31710.html)

CARGUY 01-07-2004 04:18 PM

air lines

i want to run some air lines from my compressor around the garage, can i use plastic pvc if so what size, basically what would be the right way to do it .thanks

poncho62 01-07-2004 04:24 PM

I wouldn't use plastic for this, although I have heard that it has been done. I would use steel. What happens when you bang it around and bust a hole in it?

Kevin45 01-07-2004 05:31 PM

Don't use PVC. Even though it sounds like an easy DIY and many have done it, if it decides to explode there will be shards of plastic embedded in everything. Be safe and use steel / black iron pipe that you know will hold the pressure.

Kevin

38 special 01-07-2004 05:41 PM

Don't use copper either?

crazy larry 01-07-2004 06:10 PM

yeah yeah, flame suit on.....

i been using sched. 40 3/4" pvc for years, at pressures up to 105 psi for extended (accidentally left it there (100psi)for a couple of weeks once) periods with NO problems at all. and my compressor stays on 24-7. i put a 90* elbow with an ez drain in it, drain it once a day.:D
suit yourself....

http://www.coinpeople.com/forums/ima...iles/flame.gif

wait a sec, you said the right way.....

use iron pipe.:D

M&M CUSTOM 01-07-2004 07:05 PM

A filter or filter/oiler at each quick connector certainly can't hurt either.

firebirdfanatic 01-07-2004 08:50 PM

Not to flame Larry, but PVC is rated in liquid pressure, not air. Sure it will hold for a while, but when it gives out you better take cover. Please take the time and do it right with steel. It will last longer and the maintenance will be easier over the life of your system.

willys36@aol.com 01-07-2004 10:00 PM

Liquid and air pressure are the same. There is more stored energy in air (compressible) but the pipes are so small, there isn't much that happens when one blows. It just splits and relieves itself. Pressure vessels with a large volume is where things get really dicey if it decides to blow. Can take out the entire building! I have had SCH40 PVC system in my shop for 11 years of 110F summers and 40F winters with no troubles. My walls are open stick frames. If I drywall my shop some day, I'll convert to iron pipe.

one off 01-08-2004 05:44 PM

i agree with willy
plastic is fine i've used it for 17 years in this shop. the trick is to have a flexible line from the compressor to the pipe. and to secure the fitting end solid. we run 110 pounds of water pressure

daimon1054 01-08-2004 07:13 PM

Al the lines in our shop are PVC and work great. PSI is PSI does not matter if it is water, air or farts. The only problem you might have is right next to the compressor, use air hose there or the heat will deform the PVC and cause leaks.

6567GTO 01-08-2004 07:33 PM

I was planning on using PVC piping for the airlines in my garage. Glad to see some of you like it. What about using SCH80 instead of 40? Or is it overkill? I've been wanting to use it ever since I saw a small manufacturing company that I visited once was using it.

BLOWN 1100 01-08-2004 07:56 PM

The lines in my shop is copper, lines in garage at home copper,
and all air in my business park. The only problem i have ever had
that copper seems to codense water quicker . I just use a water seperator at every outlet. Be sure if you use copper that you know how to sweat it together.

RetroJoe 01-09-2004 05:39 AM

6567, I was going with SCH80 in my garage as well. The extra $$ really aren't that much between the two. I had SCH40 in my old garage and never had a problem as long as I drained it after use. The SCH80 will need to be drained as well.

6567GTO 01-09-2004 05:45 AM

RetroJoe - Does it really get that much condensation in the lines? :confused: Or do you mean I should release the pressure after each use? What about the positioning of the quick release couplings? Should I aim them upwards to minimize condensation going to my tools? I'm going to be using an oil-less compressor.

Thanks

6567GTO 01-09-2004 08:15 AM

I just did a little research on PVC pipes and found out that they don't give PVC fittings any pressure ratings however, the corresponding pressure rating for pipe is often used as a reference.
PVC is assigned a pressure rating (psi) based on use with water at 73 deg F. As the temperatue rises, the psi drops. The psi drops by 50% at 100 deg F and by 78% at 140 deg F.
While those temps are extreme and since i'm starting from scratch I think I'll play it safe and buy SCH 80. I'm here for the long haul, hopefully, at this house so the extra mony spent is worth it.