Hot Rod Forum banner

Air rams

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Simplicity 
#1 ·
I want to install an air suspenssion in the front of an '84 chevy pickup, the problem is that I can't get the air bags down here, I just saw this industrial supply, one way, 4 inch bore air rams wich look very rugged and could be used in place of the bags, has anybody ever used such a setup? I'm not worried about wear of the seals, I will replace them often, I just wonder if they will cushion the ride since air is compressible, sure not like a rubber bag but will they provide some suspension? I don't want a rigid ride.
Thanks.
Augusto.

#2 ·
They wont work,it is the rubber of the air bag that absorbs vibration and road shock.
The lateral movement of your suspension will kill an air cylinder very fast,they are made strictly for up and down movement,and not side to side,they will bind and wear out the seals and bores.

#4 ·
im not sure what an air ram might be.....but it sounds like a hydraulic ram with air instead of fluid...... people put hydraulics on their cars and with whatever else they install to make the ride less bumpy....i forget the name...actuators? anyway somethin or another...

another thing...i think cars like honda and other import stuff people use air cylinders ( the cars you see putting the rear wheel way up into the firewall not touching the ground.. "doglegging") inplace of ?struts? for air suspension.... you might want to check out some air suspension forums, i bet they could help ya.

#5 ·
4" Air cylindes can lift a honda. But on a full size truck it would take
alot of pressure to get it to start to raise. It wouldnt work. Plus I agree
seals would be going after a short time. You need a (224c) 7" diameter bag. surely someone would ship or can get firestone air bags to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.