air ride - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 05:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

air ride

air rideeee...
i hope this is the correct spot for this...
but i figure it is suspension...

ok well i have a 66 cadillac deville that i want to bag. and im really trying to figure out what the parts due, whats needed, what would work for my car. im also looking for a kit, that i can bolt in...i don't want to have to weld and cut up my car.

does anyone have an inside view and know what would and wouldn't work?
i know i want dual chrome tanks, dual compressors. i want it to be able to do FBSS. speed doesn't really matter. it would be nice to go smoothly and quick. but not for 200 bucks more. i would also like something strong and really reliable.
ive seen someone with the same car and they put in a 3/8" fast bag kit.
however someone told me to run 185 psi. blah blah
i need to know where to go, and find a sure way solution for my car. something that i can do.

any help is greatly appreciated...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

WELCOME to Hotrodders.com

As a Moderator here I want to welcome you here ... unfortunately ... I know almost nothing about fitting air bags to your ride ...

Deuce ... Moderator
Old 02-06-2007, 12:51 AM

Last photo:

as far as cutting up your car is all up to as how low you want to go and with what size rims. to make it lay frame you will have to cut the coil spring pocket up front to clear room for the bag not to rub but the frame will still be plenty strong. you will need bag cups up front and you should be able to run the air line through the frame to the back of the car. for the rear it is a little more complicated. not sure if you have a 4 link type rear or a leaf sping type. but your best bet is to ditch it all and get an after market 4 link. if you use the stock 4 link the bars are not long enough and you will have a real bad pinion angle change to the point where you might only be able to drive all the way up in the rear. if you have leafs you could use the longest leaf by itself but you will get bad axle wrap and could break the spring. so go with after market 4 link. you may have to make a notch in the frame for the axle to sit in so the frame will lay flat on the ground once again depends on the size of rim you run. if you have a smalblock under the hood than you could use 2500 lbs bags but if you have a big block than you must use 2600 lbs bags. you probably will not need shocks on the front as long as you keep your sway bar. but you may have to cut the endlinks down. you must use shocks in the rear. this is not an option.
as for the parts i strongly recommend you visit www.suicidedoors.com he can help you out with everything the guys name is jason and he is the coolist guy you will meet. the comany is mostly mini truck related but like the cups they sell for s10 pick ups will work in any gm car with front coil springs. CAMARO,MONTE CARLO,CADDY,ect. please please do not buy anything from a company called AIM. they are a ripoff and i speak from experiance. they sell bad products and have no return policy. so after you make a purchase you better make it work or fix it your self. they have several names you might have seen a comany call AIR RIDE PRO its the same company as AIM. just to for warn you.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

ok here is a little more assistance for you. That car should have a factory GM wishbone style four bar suspension under it ( upper wishbone can vary on the years of the Caddys to a single locating bar to a wishbone with a ball joint. Actually the factory rear suspension should be a good choice to retain if you only want to get it down to the factory stops... on those cars that is fairly freakin hammered. In the front and the rear there is a couple of different routes you could go depending on your level of fabrication skills and what you want to do. Regardless, I always recommend shocks. Airsprings do not have any dampening properties and need to have a shock absorber. Also on a car that size it is paramount to run with a four way control system. This will eliminate any air transfer from side to side. Last but not least.... not applicable to the caddy but do not ever take a leak pack down to a single mono leaf. It is not a matter of IF it will fail it is a matter of WHEN it will fail. The single large leaf does not have near the rate to competantly contain the axle under accel and decel and even hard lateral loads. Yes ... I do know that they make mono leafs springs. Those are a different animal all together.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.