Air ride - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2005, 09:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Air ride

This is my first time in this forum.Hope it works. The question I have is this. I have a 37 ford that is a finished car. The car rides to low. Looks good, but speed bumps are a problem. I drive my car, it is not a trailer queen. I would like to put a air ride on the front. It appears two companies make the product that I need. You can buy a "Shock wave" or a "air wave" built by AMI. The Shock wave is big bucks. Is it worth the extra money. The car has a mustang front end with tube "A" arms. If the Shock wave is twice the price, is it twice as good? This is a driver and I do not want a product that will break down three states from home. If both products a junk, I will keep my coil springs.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2005, 07:31 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Tony from AirRide Tech is a regular on this forum and provides good advice on applications like yours...but I haven't seen him post in awhile so don't know if he'll respond.

The Shockwave does offer some nice improvements over the old, bare bones, type bag installation - I especially like the "pivot" system on the SW which allows for some better installations for problem mounts. But if your installation is pretty straight forward (listed in the catalog by make/year) it would be a real toss up as to whether they are worth the extra bucks. I believe all bags are manufactured by Firestone - so the durability factor of the bag itself is the same no matter what co. you buy from. Bag blow outs are pretty rare - but they do occur. A lot of guys carry a spare in their trunk just in case (or a properly cut length of 2x4 so they can prop up the chassis and hobble into the next closest town)

The other huge factor in a bag system is the compressor/plumbing system. You'll almost definitely want an on-board system and depending on how quickly and how often you want to raise and lower the car, you'll have as much or more tired up in the pumper as you do the bags. So just keep that in mind as you are shopping around.

Hope Tony or some other more knowledgeable members will chime in.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:52 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

for what it's worth... and my advice is never worth much...
popular hotrodding just swears that the air ride technologies shock wave is the thing of the future making anything it's on into a corner carving machine. that said, their second gen camaro build up went with lowered coils and kyb shocks.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:00 PM
www.airriderz.com

Quote:
that said, their second gen camaro build up went with lowered coils and kyb shocks.
The corning performance is much different with a 4 way air ride setup vs. an old two way air ride setup. I have a 4 way Air Ride Tech setup in my 66 Impala. My car weighs 4100 lbs. And it corners excellent. I had the lowered springs with adjustable shocks before the air ride setup. Air Ride is far superior for my car...

Gelias8354 is you have a mustang II front end the Shock Wave will be a much better riding setup. Either way, you will not be disappointed with a air ride. Good Luck.....
Old 03-16-2006, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

Air ride 1937 ford

Ok, I have waited a long time and finally made my mind up that I will put air ride on my 37 Ford. I am down to only one problem left. If I use the Shock Wave SKW1001, I will have the same ride height that I have with the coils. This has a ride height of 10 3/4 inch. This will not help my problem. Looks like my option is to go with the SKW1005. This will give me a 13 inch ride height. My question is, has anyone used the SKW1005 on a pre 48 car and does the car sit "right" when the car is set for driving. Also, and more important, any negitive feed back on the SKW1005s.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

37 ford air ride continued

I was going over my notes when I bought my 37 ford. The guy I bought the car from said the MS2 front end had dropped spindles. Without seeing a dropped and stock spindle next to each other, how can I tell if the one I have is in fact dropped? This may be the answer to my air ride problems.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:09 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

The stock spindles have the stub axle very close to the bottom ball joint. A 2" dropped spindle will have the axle roughly centered between the ball joints. (scroll down to the bottom of this page: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search...chTitleDescr=). If you don't mind the front being permanently 2" higher and you have dropped spindles, stock may be your best way to go. You might have to raise the rear a little to get the right stance, but that's no big deal. You can also raise the front a little by ordering custom height springs.

Does your MII front suspension use coil over shocks or the standard Mustang spring and shock setup? If you have coil overs now, the Shock Wave is the only way you can go. If you use the standard springs and "hats", click on the "2" at the bottom of the page in the above link and you'll find bolt in air springs. They are much cheaper than Shock Waves. You'll still need a small air tank and compressor, and separate lines to each front wheel.

How big a compressor and tank depends on how fast you want it to rise. If it's no big deal for you to wait a minute or two for it to get to ride height, a small compressor and a one or two gallon tank is fine. How often you'll be going up and down is affected also. If just going to the show and dropping, then raising for the drive home, it's no big deal to wait a minute for pressure to come up. A two gallon air tank should lift the two springs once, then you wait several minutes for the compressor to build pressure back up before you drop and raise again. For an occasionally driven/shown rod you can get by with a five gallon tank and no on board compressor. Fill the tank before you leave and you should be able to cycle up and down twice before refilling. It all depends on what you want it to do. The more you want to play, the more it's going to cost.

Two lines and valves (one for each front wheel -- four for all four corners, naturally) not so you can raise lower each side individually, but so that when you go into a hard curve air doesn't transfer from one side to the other. On a light rod that's not going to be much of a problem and you can probably get by with one valve and line t'd to both front bags. If it's just a street cruiser I'd go that route since you're just wanting to adjust ride height. That is unless you drive it real hard in the curves.

With heavier 50s and 60s cars it's a noticeable problem. In 50s and 60s cars with lots of equipment sometimes the left and right springs are different rates, so being able to level the car helps.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

37 ford air ride started.

First thanks to the above guys for your help and advise. You have no idea how much it helped. I made the commitment and am now past the point of no return. I have my Shock Waves on the bench now. I also bought a set of stock spindles. The two inch dropped spindles just did not work for what I wanted and would cause more problems that I would of thought. I have modified my lower "a" arms. So far I have cut one of the coil spring cradles. One to go. I noticed that the lower "a" frame bushing are in sad shape. Anyone ever use neoprene bushing instead if the rubber ones? If you did, who sells them? This is part one. I have not ordered the compressor and stuff yet. That will be part two. I am trying to take care of three projects at one time. I am taking pictures as I go along and will post them if anyone wants to see them.
Thanks again guys.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

37 ford air ride, need help again

I installed the shock waves, and put it all back together again. Everything looked god. Then I turned the wheel all the way and found the calipers hit the air bags. NUTS! I have 11 inch rotors with what I believe is some sort of ford calipers. This system will not work. It appears that my only option is to switch to GM calipers or Mustang 2 rotors and calipers. The mustang uses I believe a 10 inch rotor. The caliper that I have is 3 1/4 inch from the surface of the inside of the brake pad to the inner edge of the caliper (area closest to the shock wave). I now have the following questions.
1. Will switching to GM calipers take care of the problem.
2. I have no idea what kind of rotors are on this car other than they are 11 inch. If I go with GM calipers, do I need new rotors?
3. Does anyone sell just the brackets for GM calipers on a mustang 2 spindle?
4. I hate to have to replace all my stuff with a new kit. What are my options.

I realy thought I was home free. I should of known, nothing goes right.
Thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:38 PM

Last photo:

Problem solved?

After several phone calls, internet research and several trips to the auto parts store, I believe I have solved the problem. It appears that Fat Man has what I need. Parts on order, project on hold.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

Air Ride 1937 Ford pictures

I finished the project. Only three problem. You can not use Shock Waves with big disk brakes and dropped spindles. I also drilled into a gas line that I could see and new about. DUMB I can now get a floor jack under the car and I now welcome speed bumps. Below are two links on the installation. Part one is the shocks and part 2 is the rest of the project.

Part one
http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/Slides...y=-ywnq19&Ux=0

Part 2

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/Slides...y=-6t17qq&Ux=0

Thanks to the Board for all your help.
Jerry
Old 07-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Nice, thanks, I enjoyed it. I always wanted a 37 2dr hump.

The last 4 pictures in part 2 are the side view of the car at different ride heights. Can you post here with comments about which picture represents which spring, etc. thanks, x
Old 07-02-2006, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

XNTRIK, not sure what you want. The last 4 picture shows the car 2 times with no air and the other 2 shows the car with about 120 lbs of air in the shock waves. The car has no front springs.
Jerry
Old 07-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

Jerry,

Well documented slide show that I really enjoyed. Thanks for sharing. What did you end up using for spindles and brakes?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 07-03-2006, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

37 ford

Thanks Doug,
I bought the spindles from Speed Way. They are stock reproductions. Part # 910-34307, $170. The brake calipers are from Fat Man. I lost the part number and I do not remember the cost. The Brakes are mid size GM metric calibers and brakes. For some reason the car stops much better with the small brakes. I probably did not have the correct master cylinder. I looked at your pictures. The work on the 36 0r 35 chevy is impressive. We need to see more pictures. I owned a 36 since before 1975 and just sold it. It was a sad day since I had the car longer than my kids. Here are some pictures of it's last day.

http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/Slides...Uy=4lv0jp&Ux=0

Thanks again, Jerry

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.