Hot Rod Forum banner

Air Ride

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  xntrik 
#1 ·
Hey fellas, There is a new company makeing air suspension advertiseing in Rod and Custom this month (towards the front full page add), looks like they will be Air Ride Technologies competition. I didnt bring my magazime to work today and wondered if someone might have a copy handy and could give me their web site. Also has anyone used any of their products? If so what do you think. The are less than half the price, are you getting what you pay for? Just looking for some input on this stuff and if its worth the effort. Thanks

#4 ·
OK I was in the same situation as you and did all the research as you are, I found a company out in cali that though they cater to the mini truckin crowd will bent over backwards to help out anyone (plus their employees own everything from a bagged gremlin to a 1919 ford and everything inbetween) Their instructions in their kits are CRAP!!!! (and I told them this...they agreed, at the time they were working with a tech writter to rectify the situation) that said their tech line is always available and toll free....I called em a few times and got the answers I was looking for every time, heck I even called em when I was setting up the triangulated 4 link to make sure my angles were correct....EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE (BTW the name of the company is called Fender Bender International website is http://www.fbimini.com/index.asp no I'm not an employee or anything of the sort....I'm a paying customer thats extremly happy with their stuff) you can mix and match their kits upgrade certain components etc, Originally I was going for a simple system, all I wanted was front to back (4 valve system) so I could adjust my rake at will....that said after talking to the techs I found that it was better to go with the FBSS system (8 valve) do to the fact that in turns the 4 valve system will bleed air from side to side, whereas the 8 valve system will isolate each individual bag, this is also a very good thing as well due to the fact that if you have a bag failure your entire system will not go flat, only that one bag and in my truck you can drive the vehicle with only one bag inflated in the back or front respectivly (with all others inflated of course...I checked) I got the fast bag FBSS system with viair comp. slamair specialties billet bags, all the line, parker valves, fittings, 8 gallon tank, switchbox, triangulated 4 link, all brackets, c-notch, drier...well everything for $1800 shipped, air ride was almost triple that. I have also talked with some guys that have installed the air ride shockwave system that said they refuse to use their products again, due to the fact that the shockwave has the propencity to separate around the shock (plus you just dont have the suspention travel that normal bags have and they are wicked expensive) I have 13" of travel in the back and 11.5" up front, with no camber issues. that said I did have a problem (well it wasnt a problem but just the way the system was designed...it was a fast bag system with all 1/2" line and fittings) that you could hop the rear of the truck off the ground 3 inches....I was building a cruiser not a hopper, SO I took the 1/2" fittings going to the bags in the rear out, silver soldered the 1/2 fitting shut and redrilled the hole to make it a tad slower....it still gets to ride height fast, but does not rattle the teeth out of your head....
if you got any more questions on instal or otherwise just post em here as I as well as others have the system (I love mine, the truck rides like a caddy now!) I actually put mine on to get higher (I was already low....too low and got sick of gettign hung up on speedbumps and inclined driveways) and ended up getting 4 inches lower out of the deal....

here's a gallery of my sled (and helicopters), pics of my truck are about halfway down on the page
http://runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/12922/

#5 ·
Thanks for the input fellas, The place I was originally looking for is airridepro.com. I did talk to one of their folks and he seemed very helpful and knowledgeable. I want to put these on my 37 Ford that has corvette independent rear suspension. I am not interested in any sort of fast system that make the car hop, just want and easy controllable set up. Thanks again for the input and links. If anyone else has input please put in your 2 cents. more info = less headaches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.