Air Ride, but not for your normal ride... - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 12:55 PM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ok i did a quick search on google... and found this at www.bikebuddypro.com/productspage.htm#

but the ones in the picture look a little different than those my friend has or i can remember. as for tank, in the picture there i none, but i am sure you could get something. cone to think of it, have you ever considered air shocks? back 10 years ago those were all the rage in lowered mini trucks states side. and they are only a little larger in diameter than a regular shock. if you could fit a shock in there, the air shocks would probably work bett. and a set of 4 would only put you our around $150-200. they would come with a air fitting to fill them up, and lower them down, but if you were looking to do fat air up and down then they wouldn't work too good due to orofice size. it uses a 1/8" line. i will see what else i can come up with.

JD

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

Did your Mini come with the rubber cones suspension or the hydrolastic? If the latter I would think what you want to try and achieve will be relatively simple once you find the right sized bag.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:32 PM
My car is small, not far away.

Last photo:

Air shocks? that sounds like a possible idea, it may inable me to just replace the standard shocks and fiddle with the rest of the suspension, but the most appealing thing is the price lol

Its the dry rubber cone suspension

Oh i have seen adaptors for airlines.... i don't know what "fat air up and down" is .... but all i want to do is to be able to raise and lower the car ride height

MiniMiniTrucker

"what do you mean my rides too small? well at least im not making up for anything...."
Old 02-02-2006, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

sorry, typo meant fast. here are some links to air shocks...
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/cgi-bi...s/mon_air.html
http://www.shockshopusa.com/air-shocks.html

they normally come with the lines and the fittings. to make everything switch operated, you may need some pnumatic valves.

will still see if i can get those pics of the ones my friend has.

JD
Old 02-02-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS

got my fittings in today, thanks man.
/end of hijack
Old 02-02-2006, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

Airshocks alone will not give you what you need. The Alex Moulton designed rubber suspension would need to be modified to replace the rubber cone (red in the picture below) with something that "collapses" like an airbag. I do hope you realize that the rubber suspension on your mini is what makes it handle like it is on rails.

By the way the rear suspension should be similar with the rubber cone being horizontal if my memory serves me correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moulton1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	9784  
Old 02-02-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity
Larry there is 2.2 LBS. to a KG

So his car weighs 1452 LBS.

yep, thats a small car!
Thanks, eh

I work on a lot of light weight street rods. My father's street rod weighs about 1800#. So this isn't to far out of the norm for me. In the rear, use a firestone F7076. For the front, you could use the firestone 255c bag. Also referred to as a 2500# bag. Firestone has one a little smaller, that would be a better choice, the 25c.
The F7076 bags are rated at 800# each at 100 psi. The 25c is rated at 1600# at 100 psi. You should see ride height at about half that, or a little less, and have a pretty good ride. On a car so light, it will be real sensitive to shock valving. A firm high pressure shock will make it to stiff. Get something soft.
Not knowing the suspension on your truck, those choices were made assuming an a arm front suspension, and a straight axle rear.
The industrial bags would be fine, the firestone bags that are normally used, weren't designed for what we do with them. They just fit and have the right weight ratings
If you have any more questions, ask away. I'll try to come by here everyday to help you out.

Larry
www.*.com

Last edited by Jon; 02-09-2006 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see business posting policy at: http://www.hotrodders.com/help/board/business.html
Old 02-02-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david4991
got my fittings in today, thanks man.
/end of hijack
I know who you are now Sorry for the slight delay in fittings, my main supplier closed down, and left me hanging. I had to find a new source fast.
What are you doing on a hot rod site ?

I have no problem hijacking threads LOL.

Larry
www.*.com

Last edited by Jon; 02-09-2006 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see business posting policy at: http://www.hotrodders.com/help/board/business.html
Old 02-02-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS
I know who you are now Sorry for the slight delay in fittings, my main supplier closed down, and left me hanging. I had to find a new source fast.
What are you doing on a hot rod site ?

I have no problem hijacking threads LOL.

Larry
www.*.com
hot rods were my first passion. 18 years old and empty pockets put those dreams on hold for a while.
my family projects always help...
http://photobucket.com/albums/v685/david4991/53/

David

Last edited by Jon; 02-09-2006 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Advertising in quoted text removed.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS
Not knowing the suspension on your truck, those choices were made assuming an a arm front suspension, and a straight axle rear.
The industrial bags would be fine, the firestone bags that are normally used, weren't designed for what we do with them. They just fit and have the right weight ratings
Judging by what MiniMiniTrucker stated earlier in this thread, I am assuming his Mini has the kind of suspension best shown in this link:

http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible.html

About one quarter down the page is the description of the Moulton designed "rubber cone" suspension. The trouble bagging really would be one of size I would imagine as a mini was designed to have 10" rims and from what I can remember there is very little room anywhere under those cars.

The rear suspension if I recall correctly is similar to the one shown even further down the page in the link above under the Hydrolastic description except instead of the "cylinders" it had a similar "cone" type setup.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:23 PM

Interesting. I think I will have to wait for some pictures and some diminsions before going any further.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS
Interesting. I think I will have to wait for some pictures and some diminsions before going any further.
Thats what I was thinking, a litttle different then what were use to.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:24 AM
My car is small, not far away.

Last photo:

Hi guys, just to let you know, i won't be getting any photos while im at home, I have a bit of a problem here at the moment, my girlfriend has a major emergency (her grandmother is seriously ill and is currently in a medical induced coma) and i want to be there for her.

On another note Robin58 has a good link to how the suspension looks and works....

This site shows pictures of the suspension components
http://www.minisport.com/classic-min...-steering.html

Here is a better on though, but they are not the standard parts...
http://www.minisport.com/classic-min...n-product.html

Cheers
MiniMiniTrucker

"what do you mean my rides too small? well at least im not making up for anything...."
Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 PM

Any update on this? I want to do the exact same thing to my 73 morris pickup aswell. The only problem I see is the trumpet will could fall out when the bag is deflated. You could make it one piece then it would work.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMiniTruck
Any update on this? I want to do the exact same thing to my 73 morris pickup aswell. The only problem I see is the trumpet will could fall out when the bag is deflated. You could make it one piece then it would work.
wow resurecting an old post

i've been looking at this for my 65 morris traveler
http://www.fatmanfab.com/catalogpage.php?page=14
way down at the bottom there's a picture of the frames with Morris minor listed. you do that, with the mustang II front you can run airride.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.