Air Ride, but not for your normal ride... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 PM
My car is small, not far away.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Air Ride, but not for your normal ride...

Right first things first, i have had a good look around the previous threads and i doubt anything comes close, the reason being that my rides is alittle on the small side..... the road weight including a full tank of petrol is about the 660kg mark.... i've seen airbags that could fire my car off the ground and not see it again for a good few days, basically i need a really small set of air bags, (also in physical size as my working space is limited). the other thing im not sure on is what to include in my set up, all i want the car to do is to be able to drive at a good/safe ride height and then if i so wish, drop it to the ground or raise it up out the way of things.... i cant think of how to go about this..... help? oh and im not afraid of alittle fabrication work here and there, im good with my paws...

MiniMiniTrucker

"what do you mean my rides too small? well at least im not making up for anything...."

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 09:04 PM
What Ever It Takes

Air bag

mini, I have used bags from a air ride tractor trailer cab mount on small projects. They are the same material as their larger brothers but they only support the cab of the truck so they are not really large.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:14 PM

hello,
i'm a fellow minitrucker who has a bagged ride and has bagged two friends. what type of vehicle are you looking to bag?
torsion bar minis (toyotas, nissans, mazdas, datsun) have these. to bag this type of truck, you take out your torsion bar, weld in a plate to the framerail underneath the upper control arm, and then weld a plate to the lower control arm for the bag to mount to. most people use 2500 pound bags up front on these (firestone 2500, airlift 2b6, contitech 2500, slam re6) and 2600 pound bags out back (firestone 2600, airlift ab7, conti 2600, and slam re7)
pictures of this can be found at www.whynotfab.com (click -the shop- then front bags. pretty much a good tutorial on all torsion minis).
if you have an S10- then you have a spring pocket which you put a cup that bolts to the stock shock hole, and one that bolts the cup to the lower control arm.
ranger- ibeam style, i dont wanna even mention those
no matter what your truck, you will need a few basic things:
a tank to hold the air
compressor if not running nitrogen
airline to transfer the air to the bags
valves to let the airflow
fittings to piece it all together
pressure switch is nice to automatically cut the compressor off
plus a bunch of things im forgetting
for the back you will need some sort of link setup to keep the rear axle in place, whether it be a 3/4 link. some people run monoleafs, but id recommend a 3/4link. 2links are not good for a bagged vehicle because the pinion angle is only straight at one height. you also can mount your bags in the back on different places, above the axle is a 1:1 ratio and should use a single convulated bag for a better ride like a Firestone F9000. If you mount your bags on either the lower bars, upper bars, or rear mounted lift bars, then a double convulated bag will give you great lift and great ride.
a couple of sites you should check
www.bagginit.com <--- very helpful
www.s10forum.com <---- register, and start searching. read everything you can, and then start understanding it. even if you dont own an s-series, it is still a very helpful site.
www.streetsourcemag.com <---- alot of minis there, and good information.
sites to look at buying from:
www.suicidedoors.com <--- rock bottom prices and awesome customer service
www.innovativeairsuspension.com <--- larry posts on here, and has probably the best customer service.
www.gauge-magazine.com <---- matt is a really cool guy and sells parts from AIM so you dont have to deal with them shipping it out.
www.ridetech.com <--- very high quality parts
both suicidedoors.com and larry are dealers for ART.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Hmmmmmmm

Hmmmm now this is where things may get alittle strange.... the make of my car? and well shall we call a mini minitruck..... confused yet? it was made by British Leyland, its a pickup variant of the world famous mini (not the new BMW rubbish, but the old stuff), normal minis were made by Austin, Morris, British Leyland and Rover. The suspension is the same on all of the cars, just a diffrent body. Now the problem is in the fact that its a very small car and weighs about 1450 lbs total and the place to install an air bag is very small, but since its a feather weight im hoping small bags are in order....

Cheers ....... well it is a Mini MiniTruck lol

MiniMiniTrucker

"what do you mean my rides too small? well at least im not making up for anything...."
Old 02-01-2006, 06:53 PM

There is lots of small bags available! and if you can fabicate the mounts anything is possible. Any pics of the suspension?

Last edited by Deuce; 02-08-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:50 AM

Last photo:

I'll see what i can get this weekend when i go home..... if not there are alot of pictures i can find online if im not able to...

Cheers

MiniMiniTrucker

Yesterday 10:14 PM
Old 02-02-2006, 07:01 AM

I don't know what 660kg is, but if it is really light, you might want to contact someone that deals in firestone industrial hoses and belts. They probably have access to the complete firestone air bag line. Which has a lot of different bag sizes, as bags are also used as vibration dampers on machinery.
Post weights in US pounds, front and rear weights also, and I'll try and help you out.

Larry

Old 02-02-2006, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david4991

Old 02-02-2006, 07:09 AM

Larry there is 2.2 LBS. to a KG

So his car weighs 1452 LBS.

yep, thats a small car!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

small car? you bet it is, im 6'2" tall and i had to fit a smaller steering wheel to be able to get my legs in easy.... small car like i said lol

anyway, front and rear weight im not sure on, its mostly up front due to the car being front engine/front wheel drive...... anybody finds this funny and they may want to read into the abilities of a mini when going round corners....... would i be right in thinking that it would be safer to over-rate the bags for a margine of safety? (e.g. work out what the weight is at each end, then go for the next biggest airbag up?) if thats the case call it 500kgs (1100 lbs) on the front and 400kgs (880lbs) on the rear. hope that helps...

Would using bags that are for machinery be taking a risk? (little thing called safety and potential messy death?)

MiniMiniTrucker

Old 02-02-2006, 09:42 AM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

is your car simular to a mini moke? i personally have a morris traveler, so i know how light they are. a friend and i picked up the rearend and dragged the car back into my garage. i think my morris is 1800lbs total. that is until i put in the SBC.

as for your airbag question, the ones kwman suggested might work, but the stroke is short on them. i think it is only a couple inches. what i would suggest is looking at some motorcycle air ride setups. my friend has a set of bags from i think it was either a harley or honda and they are skinny. but the stroke it roughly 6" this may work in your case. if i get a chance i will see if i can get some pictures of it. but in comparision, the cycle only uses one in the rear suspension and some of those bikes can get up to 600-700 lbs. 4 of them should handle your car.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

Spot on! the mini moke was just a diffrent body, its all the same major mechanicals.... same rust problem even lol

Right...

I like the idea of motorcycle airbags over the idea of industrial, its closer to the intended purpose, but im up for anything as long as it works and won't kill me (not that im afraid of dieing... i just don't want to be there when it happens...). The six inch stroke sounds about the right size, i can space the rest out. The only worry i have is the max diameter of the bag, it may catch on the sides if i don't find the right size.

MiniMiniTrucker

Old 02-02-2006, 11:04 AM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

cool... well i think the motorcycle airbag is about the size of a soda/beer can. maybe 2 1/2" wide? i'll see if i can get a picture. gotta get my friend to dig them out. we were just talking about putting them under my morris when we start that project.

JD
Old 02-02-2006, 11:17 AM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:

Hey MiniMiniTrucker- You should really post some pictures of your truck in your photo album. I dig those minis- especially the trucks. Super cool.

Nooj
Old 02-02-2006, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

Beer can? now that sounds like a really good size ( in more ways than one lol)... it would be really nice size, any idea on the tank and comperssor set up? if you could tell me more on where to find them it would be handy (model of bike or anything you know, it would narrow my seach)...

Cheers

MiniMiniTrucker

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.