Air ride gauges - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 06:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Air ride gauges

I was told i could use an "OIL" pressure gauge for the air ride gauge. Is this has accurate as a normal air ride gauge??? Is there any difference....

The reason i ask is the gauge set i like (AutoMeter Oldies) does not have an option to add an air gauge with the same style gauge. I was told to use two oil pressure gauges and just alter the "OIL" wording on the gauge somehow and then you could have a matching gauge set!!!

THANKS
Bg

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I like the truck in your avatar.....

Never having messed with Air Ride suspensions...( other than a set of old air shocks ) I do not know how much air pressure you would need to gauge.....but would a oil pressure gauge go that high ?

I know that in big trucks the air pressure gauge is a fairly high reading gauge ....

Old 03-27-2006, 11:51 AM

Oil pressure gauges usually only goto 80-100psi.

Most air systems are around 150-175psi. at the tanks

Depending on your front set ups you could be off the guage at
ride height or higher?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

If i remember the most i was ever running was 60 lbs and most oil pressure gauges go to 100.....

bg
Old 04-07-2006, 09:27 AM

Gauges..

You can always hide the gauges as well...

Most air pressure gauges you are going to find are going to be either 100PSI max or 200, the other advantage to going to a specific air suspension gauge is that you can get a dual needle gauge... So you only need one gauge for monitoring two pressures either front or rear, or left and right.. These are available from many sources for about 30.00 bucks...

Just a thought..
Aaron

Old 04-07-2006, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

I want all the gauges to be the same ! I have a dual needle but it will not match the AUTOMETER gauges that i got (golden oldies). I called Autometer and they said i could use a oil pressure gauge for an air gauge. They would make two gauges without the oil wording on the gauge if i choose to do that.

You say i could hide the gauge?? I would think you would want the air gauge to be visible at all times??

THANKS for your input!!!

Bg
Old 04-07-2006, 09:25 PM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg
I was told i could use an "OIL" pressure gauge for the air ride gauge. Is this has accurate as a normal air ride gauge??? Is there any difference....:
Maybe the person who told you this,meant an "oil filled guage",thats what we usually use on semi trucks with air suspension,as the straight air guages do not last long,and are usually not accurate enough to guage the weight of the load.

Most air ride systems max out at 100 lbs. or so.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim..
Maybe the person who told you this,meant an "oil filled guage",thats what we usually use on semi trucks with air suspension,as the straight air guages do not last long,and are usually not accurate enough to guage the weight of the load.

Most air ride systems max out at 100 lbs. or so.
The air ride system on my truck maxes out at 200psi. Ride height is around 110psi.
I would not trust an oil gauge to be anywhere near accurate to use as an air gauge. Most oil gauges are not even that accurate.
I would maybe check into seeing if the gauge company could make a face with a 0-200psi reading and omit the word OIL on it...then buy an air gauge and swap out the faces.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 04-09-2006, 08:52 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

200 pounds!!!

Mann those must be some real hard ar bags when inflated to those pressures !

What kind of bags are they and why would you want them so hard,My peterbuilt packs fifty thousand pounds of weight with only 60 psi in the bags to maintain ride height.

most class 8 trucks I've seen have air governor settings of 125 psi,I don't know if most truck compressors would put ou 200 psi.

What kind of truck do you have,and how many and what kind of bags are they,I would be very interested to know,I've never seen an air bag system in a truck like that before,must be some fairly new system.

I also have air bags in the pickup in my avatar,I run those at 50 psi empty,and 75psi with a load in the back.

I would think that 200 psi in a bag would be like 200 psi in a tire.......very hard!!
Old 04-10-2006, 07:08 AM

Quote:
200 pounds!!!

Mann those must be some real hard ar bags when inflated to those pressures !

What kind of bags are they and why would you want them so hard,My peterbuilt packs fifty thousand pounds of weight with only 60 psi in the bags to maintain ride height.

most class 8 trucks I've seen have air governor settings of 125 psi,I don't know if most truck compressors would put ou 200 psi.

What kind of truck do you have,and how many and what kind of bags are they,I would be very interested to know,I've never seen an air bag system in a truck like that before,must be some fairly new system.

I also have air bags in the pickup in my avatar,I run those at 50 psi empty,and 75psi with a load in the back.

I would think that 200 psi in a bag would be like 200 psi in a tire.......very hard!!
Most aftermarket air ride installed will be about 150-175psi. Some people keep as much as 200psi in there reserve tank. Its about the volume of the bag. small bags need more pressure. not all cars have the room to fit a bag off of a peterbuilt. If they did they would only need 10 psi to get to ride height.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:55 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

When he said truck,I took that to mean as in big truck,where the reserve air is only 125 psi.

Maybe he meant pickup truck,although the airbags I have in my pickup say maximum psi is 100 lbs,I still think small bags with more than that would be extremely hard riding.

Or maybe he meant his guage goes up to 200 psi.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:09 AM

Bg...

I was suggesting hiding the gauges because you don't "always" need to know what pressures you are at...

A lot of people will put the gauges in a center consul or in an ash tray.... There are tons of ways to hide your gauges...

I understand where you are coming from wanting all your gauges to match but I think if you don't have a gauge with at least 150 PSI capabilities you will not be happy. Depending on your application and your air spring of choice you may find your ride height is over 100 PSI...

A lot of people will also take two dual needle gauges use one gauge for the front and use the other gauge for the rear and the tank pressure... You still keep your rear bags separated so you don't get air transfer though... At least this way you know what your tank pressure is....

At the end of the day just like anything else there are TONS of options... most comes down to personal preference...

Good Luck!!

Aaron
Old 04-10-2006, 03:31 PM

That sounds like a dilema. The only other option I can think of would be digital gauges Ive seen them made very small. Only about 1.5 x 2.5 and you could mount them in a hidden place or even on the headliner up by the rearview. Good luck in your quest
Old 04-10-2006, 08:16 PM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity
Most aftermarket air ride installed will be about 150-175psi. Some people keep as much as 200psi in there reserve tank. Its about the volume of the bag. small bags need more pressure. not all cars have the room to fit a bag off of a peterbuilt. If they did they would only need 10 psi to get to ride height.
Small bags dont need more pressure,because most cars won't be packing fifty thousand pounds,it's all relative.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Small bags dont need more pressure,because most cars won't be packing fifty thousand pounds,it's all relative.

Im not trying to bash you but this is how I see it

Actually it is relative. Therfore a smaller bag DOES require more psi. PSI pounds per square inch, There is alot more square inches on a peterbuilt bag than say a firestone 2600. If what your saying is correct then 1 PSI in any size bag would support 5,000lbs ?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.