Air Ride Suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 07:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Air Ride Suspension

Hello Folks,

I have a 76 Monte Carlo and in attempt to improve handling, cornering and ride comfort. I am looking into an air ride suspension. If it is to be done right I am looking at about $2100 dollars. Has anyone used air suspensions and are they worth the steep price. Are there other options that will give similar handling and cornering ? As always thanks for the help.

Joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

My understanding of air rides, is that it will do none of the above......(improve handling, cornering and ride comfort)........

Just my opinion, but if it did those things, the racers would be using it. It is used more for lowering your car, as much as possible.

Budget RVs
Old 07-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Do the right thing...

They will add somewhat of a softer ride, but don't offer the stiffness of leaf springs or coils. So you're actually going to lean more in turns.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Put on larger swaybars to help control lean..and look at the spring rates you have now..Springs of a controlled rate to replace the ones you have are available from www.stockcarproducts.com

Most of the air rides I have seen use the Firestone riderite bags..the big expense is the compressor and airtank for those systems..

I have had airbags on my truck for years and they are holding up just fine..all that is really needed is a small compressor to air one up if they get low..

several production cars have used the airbags and have worked out just fine tho they just set the ride height and go from there..Just the lowrider guys use the big compressors..

Up to you what you want to do..

OMT
Old 07-20-2005, 06:48 AM

Last journal entry: finished

big joe,
i have air suspension in my 64 fairlane, and the good thing about air suspension is you can have it ride any way you want. when i'm cruising around town i keep the pressure in front at around 60 psi and 40 in back, and it's waayyy smoother than stock, then if you want to corner fast and go crazy you can just bump up the pressure and the ride is very stiff, but you get almost no body roll (and i took out my sway bar too). the trick is having control over each wheel, if you link say the front two bags and link the back two, you'll have air transfer around corners and your car will have some huge body roll. i think 2100 sounds a little steep, i have a little more than that into my air suspension but i also threw out all of the air management stuff i got from air ride tech, and got all new valves and stuff. I'm a lowrider guy onemoretime is talking about so i went for the bigger valves and lines and tanks and compressors and stuff, but if you want just a good ride and good cornering i bet you could get it for around 1500 if not less. good luck! Oh yeah the best part about air ride is that it makes your car nice and low , so if you JUST want cornering and stuff, i'd say skip the air ride.

Frank

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.