air sanders - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2004, 12:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

air sanders

I searched and found lots of info on DA air sanders. A lot of people recommended sanders made by Dyabrade. My question though is what one? I was looking at this one, a little spendy, but if its quality, it will be worth it.
http://www.aaabrasives.com/shoponlin...iCurrentPage=6
Also, is there a thing I can buy for it to adapt velcro, or those sticky sanding pads (Shown on American Hotrod tv show) for quick changing.
Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2004, 05:45 AM

Last photo:

Ist of all get the Palm sander, you don't want that big old boat!

You can buy a velcro replacement pad and some companies make a vlecro sheet, that sticks to your stick-it pad so you can use velcro. I buy the pads but buy the sheets to cut and fit my had blocks. I know Sia make the sheets.

Last edited by BarryK; 12-22-2004 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:57 AM

Last photo:

That is a very pricey sander. I have been using a Chicago Puenmatic for about 10 years without any problems. it cost me $30.00 through harbor frieght tools. when you buy any tool consider how much you use it and buy accordingly. If you use the tool daily then quality name brand maybe best. if occasionally then less expensive is a better way to go.

The big thing with DA sanders (as well as other air tools) is the amount of CFM they use. The more expensive ones have closer tolerances and use a little less air (CFM). but that does not mean they always are better.

How big is your air compressor, what is the CFM of it at 90 PSI? THe goal is to have a compressor that produces more CFM than the air tool uses. THis will mean that your compressor will run less to keep up with the tool which in turn saves on your air compressor.

I suggest that you spend the money on a bigger air compressor with a bigger tank and less on the tools.
As far as the pad goes. DA sanders come with a pad that is for sticky back sand paper. they tend to be either 5 or 6 inch.

Hope this helps
Old 12-22-2004, 07:06 PM

My air compressor is a Ingersoll-Rand (35 gallons I think) it cost me a pretty penny...
I think it's 7.5CFM at 90PSI if I recall correctly.
I will be using the sander probably 4-5 times a week. I'd rather buy something that is a little spendy, but I know it will last a long time. Rather than a HF 50 buck sander that I will have to replace a few times...

Barryk,
What Palm sander is the good one? Is this one good?
I want at least a 5" sander, and perferably a 6". Is there any suggestions on what size to get?
Thanks for the help!!
Old 12-22-2004, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Thats a good one and get 6".
Old 12-22-2004, 09:54 PM

Okay thanks!
I will get the 6" sander when I round up the money, Thanks!
I just need to hear feedback to see if tjh thinks my air compressor will work
Old 12-22-2004, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

I looked all over the web sight for that palm sanders CFM rating and can't find what it is.
I have a 7 hp comressor with a 60 gallon tank and it delivers 11 Cfm at 90 psi. sometimes that is hard to keep up with my sanding tools. CFM is very important, I would suggest you write to the manufacturer and find out what it is before you buy.
I think your compressor may be small for your average sander, even good quality ones.
I am impressed with you asking questions up front, most of us have learned the hard way because we are to proud to ask.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:44 AM

The only thing that is going to be a bummer is if my compressor is too small. I wouldn't mind going to a big one (60 gallon is the largest I can find locally) but here is the story...
Oringially I had to get a "portable" air compressor with wheels because where I work is outside 100-200 feet away from where I store the compressor over night.So one of those floor mounted compressors (The one I saw was 60gallon) wouldn't have worked................BUT now next fall I am moving into a smaller house, WITH a garage that I could permantly mount a compressor in.
The problem is money is always tight, and it will be hard to convince my mom we need another air compressor (having one with wheels is always going to be handy for me, personally) and also I could have gotten one for 1000 dollars-60 gallons-floor mounted (but it was cambell hausfeild) but I got the wheeled 35 gallon-800 dollar compressor instead.
I will write an e-mail (if they have one) or write a letter to the manufacturer to find out what the maximum and minimum CFM I need for that palm sander.
I guess I should search first, but from your opinion, what is a top quality big air compressor that will last me a long time... but not cost me a house morgage?
As always, Thanks for the help!!
Old 12-27-2004, 06:25 PM

I'm pretty sure these are the same...

http://www.dynabrade.com/cgi-bin/Ind...1?45ktA8u2;;50

but on the Dynabrade website, it says that air sander is discontinued. I would guess AA Abrasives still has some to sell. On the dynabrade website it says:

Quote:
English: 2 CFM @ 90 psig
If that is all it needs, would my compresso r hold up?
Thanks for the help!

Or it could be this one, this one is just a different colour... it says 2CFM at 90PSI too...

http://www.dynabrade.com/cgi-bin/Aut...6?45ktA8u2;;93

I thought it said they were DA sanders, but are the ones I listed above dual action, or are they not?
This one says it is...

http://www.dynabrade.com/cgi-bin/Aut...0?45ktA8u2;;30
Old 12-27-2004, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

hi, trust me its not the 2cfm rating. its the rating just above it. it says 16scfm. thats more like it. i have 2 of these and they definately use around 16cfm. all the dynabrade palm type orbitals gnerally have the same motor so they all chew up the same amount of air they just put different pads on them, change the orbit size or add a vacuum feature. if you goto another brand you may find one that uses less but i dont think you will find any in your range. any tool that runs constantly will chew up the air.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:28 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

get one from this ebay seller "autobodydepot" and get Air-Vantage palm sander, best one youll ever one and affordable too
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...40324&tc=photo
Old 12-27-2004, 08:33 PM

I checked most of the 6" "vac" models, and they still have a lot of CFM... so something like those aren't good for me then?

Quote:
Originally posted by mitmaks
get one from this ebay seller "autobodydepot" and get Air-Vantage palm sander, best one youll ever one and affordable too
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...40324&tc=photo
Sorry I missed your reply...
I checked the ebay link out, and I can't find out the CFM needed to run that air-vantage sander.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:45 AM

Do you know the CFM needed to run those air-vantage sanders?
Thanks!!
Old 01-09-2005, 06:57 PM

So you guys don't think my air compressor will beable to run the dynabrade D/A sanders right? Since they require a lot of CFM. Can someone point me to the direction of an air compressor that will do fine for it? links are good.
Thanks!!

Also, if there is an increased CFM between compressors, will that affect using a spray gun? or can I adjust the CFM? Sorry for the dumb question.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

most air sanders use somewhere around 15cfm. if you found a compressor that will supply you with atleast 17 cfm you should be ok. forget the horsepower rating. these days it means nothing. the cfm is all you need to worry about. most will be rated at 90 psi. the cfm is the max amount of air the compressor will supply, if you have a tool that uses less air then your good. a tool will only take the amount of air it needs. if your going to dish out the cash for a compressor buy something thats industrial duty. ingersoll rand is a good one but they do have diffferent quality air compressors. you'll find the cheaper ones at home depot or lowes. while some of these are good, you'll get something more heavy duty from someplace that specializes in compressors. www.eatoncompressor.com makes nice compressors too.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.