Air shocks?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2002, 06:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Air shocks??

Well this is a fight between my dad and I

I have a 90 2wd ranger

i just got done putting bigger and wider snow tires on it and on a bigger rim

The tires fit when i turn both ways but it is when i go over bumps that it hits the side pannel.

So i asked around and someone said that i should put air shocks to rase the front and rear of the car up because he has it on his van and they work pretty good and everyone in my car group said it was a good idea for me to do so.

When i told my dad what i plan to do he got mad and said that air shocks are just a cheap way around the problem and that the tires are just too big for the truck.

Ofcourse my dad has never liked me modding something on my truck and so i was wondering if this place could settel the dispute

So would air shocks help me raise the front and rear end up. It seems to me that it would be a good idea because all i have to do is go to the pump and raise the car?

Or should i stick with the old rim and tires and let my truck slide in the snow for another year???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2002, 07:51 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your dad is right. What you want to do is really nothing more than a band-aid. Your setup could even be dangerous. If you want larger tires to fit, make all the proper changes to the suspension. Air shocks are the worst. No ride quality at all.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I once had air shocks on the back of my 68 Galaxie and they were a pain in the butt. Worst thing was that whenever the snow would pack up under the rear axle and it got warm the block of snow would come out along with all the little plastic tubing leaving me stranded (tires rubbed the wheel wells). I hate them with a passion and they always need filling due to constant leakage, if you have your heart set I would hard plumb them or at least run stainless braided line to each one.

I would listen to Dad and get some new springs along with a body kit to do what you want, much safer and the truck will handle much better. You don't want the hassle...trust me.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:50 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Air shocks suck!
Old 11-16-2002, 04:41 PM
Gearhead

I'm with the other guys here, sorry, but your dad is right. Air Shocks are designed for one thing and one thing only, to compensate and adjust ride height in the rear for a loaded vehicle. Sorry, but thats it. Take it from me, I have an El Camino that came from the factory with rear air shocks. I have talked to dozens of really knowledgable people and they all say the same thing, don't use them to compensate for tire clearance issues or to just raise up your rear to give you the illusion of a "raked" look. Furthermore, air shocks put an unneccessary stress on the shock mounts that could result in broken or cracked mounts if too much air or inappropriate amounts of air are run in them. Go for new springs and like 4 Jaw Chuck said, that body kit if you need it.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:15 AM

Last journal entry: Some pics
Last photo:

Thumbs down

I agree with those above, air shocks from what I have seen are a PITA. My dad had a lincoln with some sort of air adjusted rear suspension and most of the time it looked like a lowrider because the things never were working much.

[ November 17, 2002: Message edited by: Wmarden ]</p>
Old 11-17-2002, 09:09 AM
Gearhead

Hey, another idea check out www.therangerstation.com I have a friend that is really big into rangers and he swears by he site.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.