Hot Rod Forum banner

air shocks?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tonylsg 
#1 ·
I had posted before about rear suspension ideas for a 85 silverado(street/strip) truck. most seemed to agree that air shocks would be best on the rear for versatility. I have recently purchased a set and i am taking suggestions on pressure settings. I would like to preload the right rear tire but by how much :confused: Looking for approximate normal, and track driving air pressures.

#2 ·
You know the psi is gonna change depending on what ou are doing. On the strip, your just gonna have to lay down some passes until you figure what is gonna give you the best hole shot. Daily driving will be different from hauling stuff in the truck. So what are the shocks rated at? I think for just toddling down the road you shoud be fine at 40 to 60 psi. My 2 penny in the jar!!!!
Slider ion Wa.

#3 ·
The shocks are rated from 20 to 150psi. I know it will vary but I am just looking for base numbers. Primarily street and strip numbers, i will figure it out hauling. What do you think about preloading the right rear with an extra 10 to 20 psi. These things function like the airbags do.

#4 ·
Hot Rod Magazine or Pop Hot Rod did an article back in the late sixties or early seventies on what you are attempting to do, my memory being that of a fifty + year old i remember very sketchy parts of the article, mostly that the preload on the right rear was around 20 psi, and they did a series of burnouts to determine the exact setup. I was running approximately the same setup at the time and the article helped save a lot of goodyears best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.