Hot Rod Forum banner

air shocks for 70 chevelle

12K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  poncho62 
#1 ·
I currently have airshocks on my 70 chevelle and even when fully inflated the sidewalls of the tires can still rub when I go over a bump. Are there any air shocks that can go higher?

this is fully inflated

want something that can go high:

See less See more
#3 ·
BOBCRMAN@aol.com said:
There are spacers that install on the upper mount that will give you about 2 1/2" more height. But that is not your real problem. Incorrect offset wheels..
how do you mean incorrect offset? they are facing out towards the bottom? The part that rubs is right above the white lettering; the chrome trim and outer fender rub against the sidewall.

#8 ·
Put new coils in the rear. Moog #5419 will do the job. Simple install and the "load" is where the load is designed to be. If your car has any metal fatigue or rust at the upper shock mount area, too much load/lift can put your shocks in the trunk. Your car looks great the way it is, but that's just my opinion. I'd try to get some wheels that tuck inside the wheel wells.

cletusvandamme said:
I currently have airshocks on my 70 chevelle and even when fully inflated the sidewalls of the tires can still rub when I go over a bump. Are there any air shocks that can go higher?

this is fully inflated

want something that can go high:

#9 · (Edited)
No!

No guy. I joined this site just to warn you while I was doing a google search.

Your air shocks are worn out if you can't get your rear end off your wheels. Improper backspacing to begin with. If you HAVE to make do on the cheap, stick some air bags in your worn out springs: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-60233/

Air shocks will punish your 40 year old shock mounts (if they're not busted already).

Good luck!

Edit: You don't want your arse up that high like in the second picture anyway. Handling, weight distribution, wheel hop, unnecessary wear on your trailing arms and front suspension... you want your car to squat and go.

#10 ·
my son has a 68 elco, same suspension as your chevelle.
he ran air shocks for load management for a while with marginal results.
when he moved cross country he did the air bags like 70_malibu linked too.
now he can carry the extra load and not bottom his suspension out.

#13 ·
not sure what kind of springs u have but u can add taller coil springs or add an extra leaf and that will give you more height w/o using air shocks or you can radius your wheel well openings a bit or just get smaller tires ...man this aint the 70's you wanna make your car look cool add some 29x9x15 cheeta slicks u wont need airshocks didnt even know they made airshocks still

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.