Air Shocks And Traction Bars?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 11:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Air Shocks And Traction Bars??

Can i run air shocks and traction bars? I want to lift my rear up all the way with the air shocks like i did back in high school. My concern is that if i lift them all the way up can i still use your basic $30.00 traction bars like from jegs? I would rather not even use traction bars but im sure with a bigger power plant and air shocks i will need themto avoid wheel hop. Thats if they will work together

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2007, 12:22 AM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

when i was in high school i had air shocks on my first car, a 71 dodge charger 500,so i could drive around with my n-50-15 rear tires problem was thats not what there designed for. eventually they will leak or blow out all together. oh yeah and the car rode like sh@t. if you want height for looks get a spring or shackle lift kit. if your looking to fit big tires under there you should tub out the wheel wells
Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 AM

I dont want to tub the wheel wells for lack of skill and i want to keep the original look. The shocks were going to be on only long enough to stretch the springs. When i did this in high school after a year or so i took the shocks out and the springs retained this ride height so i could then put on regular shocks again. I just never got to putting the regular shocks on. I'm just trying to cheat the quick and easy way. And once i got my springs to that shape the ride was alot better.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:25 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

i honestly have to say that Ive never heard of stretching the springs with air shocks....... i don't know how high you want to go but another alternative would be to pop in a few spring rubbers. if your looking to gain a few inches that should be no problem.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:48 AM

I didnt plan on stretching the springs either it just happened. Its kind of like how in time springs start to sag well this happens in reverse when they are always kept pumped up to max height it took over a year for this to happen but i'll be dog gone if it didnt i was surprised myself. From what i understand if they are still in business there is a local spring shop that will bend your springs to lift ride height. Im just trying to be cheap but maybe i should just take it to them. I could also get a lifted spring for my application from
JC WHITNEY. Once i find a good rear end i guess i will need to give this some more thought.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

Once the shop re-arches them, they shouldn't sag again.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 AM

Last journal entry: car is painted
Last photo:

Forget about traction bars if you plan on topping out your suspension. With traction bars, the car and rear end seperate. If the car can't go anywhere, you will not get any traction at all.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:44 PM

So are you saying that if i top out my suspension i wont have any traction at all? or just that the traction bars wont have any use or effect on anything due to the difference in travel?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:09 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u Windows are in
Last photo:

I use air shocks and comp. engineering tractions bars on my 69 camaro. It works fine and looks like a 70's pro-stocker

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.