Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   air tank as gas tank? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/air-tank-gas-tank-167641.html)

matt167 10-31-2009 03:53 PM

air tank as gas tank?

could I take a new air tank, cut the fitting out of it, and weld a gas filler on , and use the drain fitting for the fuel line fitting? this would be for my ratrod project and would most likely be mounted on the frame rails

eloc431962 10-31-2009 03:56 PM

I don't know why it would'nt work just fine, I am planning on using a old beer keg for a rod that i am going to build. I say why not......Cole

matt167 10-31-2009 06:46 PM

yea, that was my thinking, just wanted to make sure

NEW INTERIORS 10-31-2009 07:25 PM

It will work fine.. :thumbup:

SSedan64 10-31-2009 07:28 PM

Do the old air tanks have a good gas proof coating inside to prevent rust etc..??

Chevrolet4x4s 10-31-2009 07:48 PM

They make some nice aluminum ones now. :thumbup:
Shane

woodysracing 10-31-2009 08:05 PM

I dont see why not...Im using a Fleet Farm boat gas tank with a GM sending unit.An air tank should be a sturdy tank.

matt167 10-31-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
They make some nice aluminum ones now. :thumbup:
Shane

not on a budget they don't.. a 7 gal portable air tank is $20,

matt167 10-31-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSedan64
Do the old air tanks have a good gas proof coating inside to prevent rust etc..??

probably not, but even so. gas tank sealent is pretty cheap

Irelands child 10-31-2009 09:12 PM

Matt - Why not use a 30 (or 40) pound propane tank. The Clifton Park transfer station gets the 30 pounders regularly - there was one Friday and a couple last week when I was there. My spare 20 (almost new) came from there - and they have many that size but not always the latest version with the triangular handle.

Once you empty it, remove the valve and the top and bottom flanges, you have a nice beginning to weld brackets, fillers, bungs for pickups and a roll over vent.

Dave W

NEW INTERIORS 10-31-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irelands child
Matt - Why not use a 30 (or 40) pound propane tank. The Clifton Park transfer station gets the 30 pounders regularly - there was one Friday and a couple last week when I was there. My spare 20 (almost new) came from there - and they have many that size but not always the latest version with the triangular handle.

Once you empty it, remove the valve and the top and bottom flanges, you have a nice beginning to weld brackets, fillers, bungs for pickups and a roll over vent.

Dave W

Just make Da**** sure nothing is inside,When you do your welding.. :sweat: :pain: :pain: :sweat:

timothale 10-31-2009 10:45 PM

fill with water

I always fill gas tanks with water when I am going to fix one, sometimes it needs a hose fitting to keep the water level just below where I am welding. A used gas tank should be double washed with hot soapy water a couple of times first. the speedway catalog says the gas cap and filler are aluminum but the last one I got has the steel liller neck so I drilled and tapped the old beer keg .

moontanker 11-01-2009 03:04 AM

tank

If its got room inside use it.I sell gas tanks for 35.00 all the time .Sold one yesterday and they are the best.CAuse I said so,, :cool: :cool:

Irelands child 11-01-2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Just make Da**** sure nothing is inside,When you do your welding.. :sweat: :pain: :pain: :sweat:

I wasn't going to insult Matt with an admonition like that :nono: :D :D :D

Dave W

Old Rotor Flap 11-01-2009 07:11 AM

Darn.... why didn't someone call me? I should have thought of that.
Thanks for the great ideas.

I notice the spun aluminum tanks offered by Speedway are not recommended for street use. Too thin or non-compliant. Though, I don't know what regs covering (pun?) gas tanks. I'm thinking none since you see so many jacked up trucks around here with their tanks hanging there waiting to get pierced in a rear-end accident.

Maybe someday I'll confess what I was planning for a gas tank. Mine will be (note; future tense) sitting out in the open on the rear crossmember. That makes me a little nervous as I think of it as a target.

Thanks again gents, for food for thought.