Air w/ A100 Solid axle. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 11:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Air w/ A100 Solid axle.

I'm trying to figure out how to install airbags on a solid front axle. I have a í68 dodge A108 Van that Iím customizing. (I think that front axle was frequently used in gasses) Iíll take some pics of my front end tonight and post them. Do you guys suppose something like the cen-pen set up would work for this kind of application. Iíve considered trying to fab a three-link setup for the front but I donít fully understand suspension.

I looked at this thread but its is a bit dated, figured I would start a new one.
air on a solid front axle?

Thanks!

I dont think a crossmember set up would work, dont think I have any transverse springs to replace.

Advertisement

Last edited by wildbill-2%; 06-17-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I would think that the easy way to do this is to simply remove leaves from the stock springs until the front end is as low as you want it, then install bags to raise the truck back up when you want it raised. No new suspension needed.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 PM

I kicked that around, kind of like a mono leaf with a bag stuffed inbetween it and the frame.

But is it "safe"? (by all means safety isnt normally a deciding factor for me, but I wouldnt to kill someone else if things went wrong.) I plan to raise an lower it quite a bit. Eventully that would stress the whats left of the leaf spings beyond their intended point and if failure occurs at high speeds it could get ugly. Thanks for your input ;-)

Wonder how hard it would be to put a 4 link on the front end? Could I install it the opposit direction that it would be installed on the back?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I appreciate your concern for safety. Keep in mind that the main leaf of the spring carries all the load normally. Stress in the spring is highest at the ends, which are unchanged when you remove the smaller leafs. The fatigue loading in normal driving is likely to be the more stressing case anyway.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:28 PM

"Stress in the spring is highest at the ends, which are unchanged when you remove the smaller leafs."

No kiddin? I didnt know that. Neat!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

I would suggest making a four bar or hairpin style set up to positively locate the axle. If you want to keep the leafs leave a minimum of two in there or buy a set of lowered leafs. What you need to watch out for is excessive spring wrap under braking.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.