Hot Rod Forum banner

AirGas C25 mix cylinders... Straight CO2?

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have my own "300" cylinder (9.25" x 55") that AirGas swaps out for me about once every 3 to 5 years. My bottle was down to 250#, so I've been watching it close. Well, yesterday my wire spool ran out so I figured to get both since it's a 30 mile round trip. Called them and they said they were out of stock and the cylinders had been ordered for over 2 weeks. This is not a one-time thing either, the same deal happened last time I needed a fresh bottle. Is it my local AirGas store or is this a nation-wide phenomenon? They have a fill plant 75 miles away in Houston (2 plants actually), so I'm having a hard time seeing how they are "out". Think it's because I have my own bottle and don't rent per month? I hate having stuff to do and not having the equipment to do it with...

Anyone ever try MIG welding with straight CO2?

Russ

#2 ·
co2 ?

I bought my Used Lincoln SP200 6 years ago from a pro welder that was retiring and he gave me the large CO 2 bottle that is all I have been using, but We do a lot of heavy metal welding. I've read the the argon CO 2 mix is better for thinner gage metals, and have been thinking about buying another bottle. I have a large Argon bottle for my Tig welder and have heard that some guys Y up two bottles and Mix as they go. For tig welding heavy Aluminum Hydrogen and helium. is recommended to be added in the argon mix. Welding tips and tricks , com has a lot of welding info posted and Jody WILL answer your questions if you don't find what you need by searching his Free site or Utube videos. I did most of the weldin on the 29 Nash roadster shown when I was taking a streed rod Fabrication class a few years ago at UVU and they used Argon co2 mix.

#3 ·
My Miller handbook says CO2 is OK, but C25 makes for less spatter (God knows, I need that!). I guess I'll wait until the bottle runs dry and see if they call me. Hard to figure how a supplier of industrial gases in an area of very heavy industry would be out of the most popular MIG shielding gas, especially with two fill plants less than 100 miles away...

Russ

#4 ·
CO2 is an "active" gas mixing with the weld while Argon is an "Inert" gas that doesn't and simply pushes impurities away. So by definition if you are using CO2 you don't have a "MIG" at all. :D I have only used the 75/25 doing auto body and fab work, other than the straight Argon we use on the MIG braze machine at work. From what I understand the CO2 welds hotter and more suited for hard core welding on fences and stuff that a pretty weld isn't needed and where you want more penetration.

Brian

#5 ·
I'm gonna hold out for the C25. Has anyone ever tried a lesser mix? AirGas's site shows percentages all the way down to 2%. Hmmm, if they didn't have the most popular mix, prolly even less chance they'd have one of those...

Russ

#7 ·
What am I missing here? Of course a welding supply has bottles of 75/25 to rent. What are you saying? I am missing a joke or something, sorry. :drunk:

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.