Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Airplane drop-tank wanted

15K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  speede5 
#1 ·
I live near the plant that made WWII Corsair airplanes and I always wanted to do a tribute using a drop-tank that was used on these and Mustangs during the war similar to the So-Cal "lakester" belly tanks that were run on the dry lakes and Bonneville during the late 40's and 50's.

Does anyone know if there are any sources for these old tanks?

#2 ·
During WWII my grandfather flew F4U's (corsairs). He was stateside in his plane and as he was flying over some neighborhood it evidently fell off in some guys backyard. He said it caused quite a commotion.

This wont help you find one but thought it was a good story.

John

#3 ·
#4 ·
Had to run outside real quick and take these pictures before it got too dark.

As you can see, my neighbor has a belly tank that he plans on building up. As you can also see by the dogs in the pictures, he's serious about keeping it. He won't sell it to me or even reveal his source, but he says that they're still out there for sale. You just have to hunt hard and long to find them. According to him, it took him 4 years to find this one and convince the previous owner to sell it to him.

Good luck in your search.

Attachments

#10 ·
Oh does this bring up a sore subject with me. I had one, an 18' long tank that was even used as a body for a lakester, a flat head powered lakester. I had this thing about 20 years ago and sold it thru Hemmings motor news for $350 or something like that. DAMN I wish I had it now!!!!!!

Brian

#13 ·
Dusty82 said:

As you can see, my neighbor has a belly tank that he plans on building up. As you can also see by the dogs in the pictures, he's serious about keeping it. He won't sell it to me or even reveal his source, but he says that they're still out there for sale. You just have to hunt hard and long to find them. According to him, it took him 4 years to find this one and convince the previous owner to sell it to him.

Jeff Foxworthy could have a field day with that photo!!!! :D

#15 ·
The is a huge military surplus store/yard NW of Ogden, Utah that would have what you are looking for but I can't remember the name of it. The WWII tanks would be a bit small for what you are are wanting. What would work great would be what is referred to the Supersonic 600 gal Centerline tank (source of Centerline's handle?) for the F4. The standard tank is much more flimsy but would work as well and there should be thousands of those out there if they have not been recycled.

I'll try to locate contact info for the Ogden site.

Trees

#16 ·
trees said:
The is a huge military surplus store/yard NW of Ogden, Utah that would have what you are looking for but I can't remember the name of it. The WWII tanks would be a bit small for what you are are wanting. What would work great would be what is referred to the Supersonic 600 gal Centerline tank (source of Centerline's handle?) for the F4. The standard tank is much more flimsy but would work as well and there should be thousands of those out there if they have not been recycled.

Trees
Good lead..most of the tanks I have seen were too small and would need to be stretched unless one was using a motorcycle engine..The standard tank would work on a lakester as the chassis and cage provides the strength..If any one contemplates running SCTA events either Bonneville or El Mirage..get one of their rulebooks as they are real fussy about those things..

Sam

Sam

#17 ·
Admittedly this isn't going to help, but.... a couple of years ago while in London I met a girl near the Tower Bridge who was from Utah who told me that big surplus outfit near Ogden was still there and going strong.

I was there some years ago and also can't remember the name. I suggest you call Hill Air force Base as much of there surplus goes to that company. Someone there should be able to get you the name.

Or, try one of these for more info;

http://www.superpages.com/yellowpages/C-Aircraft+Parts+&+Equipment+Retail/S-UT/T-Ogden/

#21 ·
Dusty82 said:

The owner of this original P-38 belly tank has decided to sell it. I'm gonna get him over here and place an ad in the classified section. This is just fair warning that it's coming up for sale soon.

#22 ·
Dusty82 said:
The owner of this original P-38 belly tank has decided to sell it. I'm gonna get him over here and place an ad in the classified section. This is just fair warning that it's coming up for sale soon.
As noted, a WWII belly tank is going to be too small for what you are wanting to do with it. Also, an original WWII belly tank, especially one for a P38 is going to be far out of the reach ($$$$$) of your average hotrodder IMHO.

Vince

#23 ·
302 Z28 said:
As noted, a WWII belly tank is going to be too small for what you are wanting to do with it. Also, an original WWII belly tank, especially one for a P38 is going to be far out of the reach ($$$$$) of your average hotrodder IMHO.

Vince
You only have to look at the pics I posted earlier in this thread to see the size of the tank. He says it's from a P-38. I have no reason to doubt him. I'm not a historian, so I really don't know...

Still - if someone wanted to make a lakester replica, this might be your chance to get an original, steel drop tank. I happen to know the owner is ready to deal - we're talking extremely cheap. Watch the classifieds.

#24 ·
trees said:

Trees
you taking about the one thats on the other side of the motocross track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.