Alan Grove Alternator Mount - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014, 09:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Alan Grove Alternator Mount

Anyone here use the Alan Grove 200 R alternator bracket (SBC, short pump, passenger side) with the Edelbrock Performer intake manifold?

I am trying to determine if the heater hose connection coming out of the intake will interfere with the alternator before I invest in the bracket.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

I really can't help you on the Grove parts but I used "Bill's Hot Rod Co." on my 331" sbc. I think it's much nicer, not as bulky looking and is tig welded. For just the alter. you would use #150 which is $64 plain steel to $99 for chrome. See .... billshotrodcompany.com
Old 03-19-2014, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

Bills Hot Rod Company
Old 03-19-2014, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

You could use a Header Power Bracket. Here is also a picture that shows how the heater lines would route with the Performer RPM manifold, with the extended bracket, so you can determine if they can get around the alternator. Looks like the water pump hose is fine and the manifold hose could be shortened for a bit more sweep to the back behind the alternator.

HEADER POWER BRACKET¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* - Home

Last edited by toddalin; 03-19-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 PM

Thanks but I am having trouble finding a passenger side alternator bracket for the short pump. The Bills Hot Rod 150 series is the correct side but long pump only. Bills also has several series that will work with the short pump but they all have the alternator on the drivers side.

I have a compressor mounting bracket for the passenger side similar to the Grove 200R but the bracket locates the alternator to far back.

I tried a Speedway Motors bracket and the alternator ran into the heater hose fitting and also had virtually no adjustment as the adjustment bolt was at the end of the slot when the alternator was rotated to clear the intake.

I chose to go with the short pump to provide better radiator clearance but I am beginning to think it was a poor choice.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICruiser View Post
Thanks but I am having trouble finding a passenger side alternator bracket for the short pump. The Bills Hot Rod 150 series is the correct side but long pump only. Bills also has several series that will work with the short pump but they all have the alternator on the drivers side.

I chose to go with the short pump to provide better radiator clearance but I am beginning to think it was a poor choice.
Not a mistake. The Header Power Brackets only work with the short and Corvette water pumps and will put the alternator where it needs to be.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

Hi, I did the Alan Grove Brackets with the opposite setup than you. My Alternator setup is on the drivers side and compressor on the passenger side. Due to the three water outlets in the Preformer manifold, I did not have any problem hooking up water or gauges. Looking carefully at the pictures in Alan's catalog, the clearance in the water passage appear to be similar with both setups. I would not expect any problem and would go for it. The problems I did have installing the brackets is I had to engolate the bracket holes fitting around the intake mounts, including the spacing for the fuel ports. You also have to be careful with the amount of spacers on the water pump area to get perfect alignment - had to modify the shims and add washers. Not a big deal but did not expect it from a purpose made piece. I changed manifolds to Preformer RPM Air Gap and was able to use the same mounts - water hookup now hooks to rear passage by Dist. Good Luck, Ray
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 PM

Thanks Scooting, I agree that the pictures in the on-line catalog look like it should clear but I am a little gun shy as I have bought two brackets already that didn't work. Maybe the third time is the charm.

Toddalin - I don't have headers but the rams horn Corvette manifolds. It appears that the Header Power Brackets provide a mounting location similar to the one cast into the iron manifolds. However, I don't know what bolts to either the Header Power Bracket or the cast iron manifold to actually provide the alternator mounting feature, and where the adjusting arm mounts. Do you have any additional information of the additional parts required?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Toddalin - I don't have headers but the rams horn Corvette manifolds. It appears that the Header Power Brackets provide a mounting location similar to the one cast into the iron manifolds. However, I don't know what bolts to either the Header Power Bracket or the cast iron manifold to actually provide the alternator mounting feature, and where the adjusting arm mounts. Do you have any additional information of the additional parts required?
The extended Header Power Brackets will work with the rams horn manifolds because the bolt holes are in the same locations. You would need two bolts that are 3/4" longer than the originals, and two 1/2" spacers. This will place the bracket along the outter edge of the exhaust manifold, but it just looks a bit weird.

You also need an F-Bracket that actually mounts the alternator to the Header Power Bracket (or its billet spacer). Get one that "cinches" the alternator forward as you tighen the pivot bolt.

And, you need a J-bar. The F-Bracket and J-bar were standard issue back when the alternator mounted to the exhaust manifold and most people already have these pieces either from stock, or from moving up from the cheap, stamped, aftermarket header mounts. If not, they can be obtained from any of the major suppliers fairly cheap. The original F-brackets are better made (thicker) than the cheaper available replacements shown in the picture (~$8 on ebay), but cost more.

BTW, the J-bar mounts to the back, and not the front of the alternator.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Quote:
Anyone here use the Alan Grove 200 R alternator bracket (SBC, short pump, passenger side) with the Edelbrock Performer intake manifold?

I am trying to determine if the heater hose connection coming out of the intake will interfere with the alternator before I invest in the bracket.

Thanks
I used the 200R on my '31 Tudor, with a Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifold, Cat. #7101.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 03-21-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Sorry for the double post.... post timed me out before I could get some photos...

I am not running a heater, so I have the ports plugged. Nonetheless here are some photos for ya that might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200R Bracket and Heater Hose.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	129890   Click image for larger version

Name:	200R Brackey and Heater Hose.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	129898  
Old 03-22-2014, 11:56 AM

Thanks LakeRoadster, those pictures help a lot.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.