alcohol carbs? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 08:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

alcohol carbs?

On you guys and gals that run carbed alcohol, what carbs do you guys run as looking to switch to alcohol as can not keep current motor cool. It is a 350 010 splayed-cap block bored .060 with a 3.5 stroke with appr 14.5 compression that currently has a 850 on a Super Victor & HVH 2" spacer on Dart 215 CNC-ported Pro 1 heads. It is completely concreted so know alcohol is the best for it to try and keep it cooler. My current Holley HP150 fuel pump along with my 8AN lines are good for it just need a alcohol regulator (looking at the Holley 704) along with an alcohol carb. I have tried everything I know to try and keep it cooler but gets to 240 degrees in about 4 minutes idling. What carbs are you guys or gals running with consistent good results as free to your opinions? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

I have a Davinci 1050 I have had for a few years it works great. They are gone but David Cook is the guy to talk to now. (he was the carb guy at Davinci) PM me if you want his #

I did not like running an electric pump on alcohol, I had a magna flow pro star 500 and ended up going to an aeromotive belt drive unit with a BG regulator and shut off valve.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

AED 850 Pro series carb, and their mechanical regulator. I bought the real deal RacePump because I wasn't sure if AED's version is a licensed copy.

Larry
Old 06-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I think myself I would go with the Barry Grant...Those seem to work fine.. Just expect to do some "ywiddiling" with jets and such to get it all sorted out..But you have been there done that with Gas so it should work out fine for you..There is a learning curve with running alky so it will take some time to get back to the consistency you now have..

Sam
Old 06-29-2008, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado-tech
On you guys and gals that run carbed alcohol, what carbs do you guys run as looking to switch to alcohol as can not keep current motor cool. It is a 350 010 splayed-cap block bored .060 with a 3.5 stroke with appr 14.5 compression that currently has a 850 on a Super Victor & HVH 2" spacer on Dart 215 CNC-ported Pro 1 heads. It is completely concreted so know alcohol is the best for it to try and keep it cooler. My current Holley HP150 fuel pump along with my 8AN lines are good for it just need a alcohol regulator (looking at the Holley 704) along with an alcohol carb. I have tried everything I know to try and keep it cooler but gets to 240 degrees in about 4 minutes idling. What carbs are you guys or gals running with consistent good results as free to your opinions? Thanks
I am concerned with your basic cooling problem. Idling that IS a big problem. What happens when the truck moves? How extensive is the cooling problem?

My guess is that even on alcohol it will get too hot idling.

Maximum block-fill up to the water pump holes makes an engine run cooler, but the oil runs hotter. 60 overbore is thin but shouldn't be a cooling problem. 14.5 compression is not that big of a cooling situation either.

Excluding some mechanical problem, the cooling problem has to be either radiator size, airflow, or water flow.
Evans coolant is also a valuable asset. It stops steam pockets in the heads.

Sorry I don't know much about alcohol, but I do believe that you are chasing your tail trying to fix this with alcohol.

ScoT (Former cooling system engineer)
Old 06-29-2008, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

I like the Predator Alcohol carbs. Instant throttle response, easy to tune and the more radical the engine the better they work

Jordon

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.