Hot Rod Forum banner

alfa v6 mated to manual rear drive

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  grantg 
#1 ·
hi

iam currently planning out the drive train on my 34 roadster am doing i am going to use my alfa 156 v6 engine as the donor but i want a five speed manual mated up to and that mated up to a rear diff which is going to be from a jag xj6 with IRS

Is it possible to put a clutch on the engine ive been told that a volvo M90 gear box is a good box i will have to have the prop shaft modified to fit both ends

i appreciate all the answers thank you :thumbup:

#2 ·
ebbrell said:
hi

iam currently planning out the drive train on my 34 roadster am doing i am going to use my alfa 156 v6 engine as the donor but i want a five speed manual mated up to and that mated up to a rear diff which is going to be from a jag xj6 with IRS

Is it possible to put a clutch on the engine ive been told that a volvo M90 gear box is a good box i will have to have the prop shaft modified to fit both ends

i appreciate all the answers thank you :thumbup:
Why dont u use Alfas ovn gearbox? I assuem that this is the 3liter v6??

#3 ·
hi mate

the engine is the 2.5 v6 q system so it a side mounted front wheel drive and the gearbox for the rear wheel drive is so expensive and the diff prop shaft and drive shaft

am doing this on a budget i wanted a v8 but the price to run one is just daft now and i want to use the car all year round so my car has kindly agreed to give up it engine and what ever else i need

unless i put the engine in the back and use the front as the boot ive only ever seen one car with this set up and was boyd coddington roadster years ago

that way i can use all the alfa drive train i will have to think about this

#9 ·
hiya pal ive emailed and looked at his web site they do the v6 jag adaptor so i thought they mite do one for my v6 just waiting for there reply
iam going to start breaking my alfa down to start cleaning the parts i need and painting/chroming them

ive read that i can use the alfa flywheel bellhousing ect with the t5 gearbox so am looking into this aswell

#10 ·
ok am having no luck with knowing if i can have an adapor made to mate my v6 up with a manual rear wheel drive i mite aswell put my son push bike peddels with the chain gear

the boxes are cheap enough on ebay but waste of time if they wont fit together oh well must keep looking :thumbup:

#11 ·
used bmw 1985 535 getrag dogleg box

An auto or preferably a manual gearbox bellhousing from the 2.5 alfa sedan. Took a 4mm sheet steel and drilled all the mounting holes into it. Made a spindle for the centre of the bellhousing to accurately get a centre for the getrag bell housing and made a spindle for the getrag which I bolted on the flat plate where the alfa bellhousing front would be bolted to match both centres. I then machined the getrag mouting to fit into the alfa bellhousing with the spindle I turned for the getrag which keeps the alfa centre which is necessary when welding the two together. Fortunately the manual sedan flywheel, starter etc is all alfa and the clutch plate and thrust bearing is from bmw. I machined off the back of the alfa auto where the back half of the getrag would be welded but opted to machine it from aluminium billet instead for neatness. I have photos as the bellhousing is exposed at the moment so if you email me or tell me how to place a photo in this reply then I can show you. Choose a diff ratio that allows for the circumference of your rear ttyres and remember the engine can rev quite high. Its torque rather than top end that you are aimimg for and its probably the diff nobody else wants that you will prefer. Regards. Grant Giliomee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.