Alittle head gasket material help please.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NorthRichlandHills, TX
Posts: 452
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 132
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Alittle head gasket material help please..

Tell me if I should be looking at a different gasket but either

GM 14096405

or

GM 10105117

Is it just that the 10105117 is for aluminum heads and the other is for iron heads?
I see one is composite and one is steel/graphite

This is a 383, 9.5:1 vortec heads daily driver thanks for any help..

Also I read that these gaskets can be used up to a 4.030 bore? Even though they list 4.000?

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Slammedsi's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vernon, TX
Posts: 257
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 118
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0trbo4myCHEVUICK View Post
Tell me if I should be looking at a different gasket but either

GM 14096405

or

GM 10105117

Is it just that the 10105117 is for aluminum heads and the other is for iron heads?
I see one is composite and one is steel/graphite

This is a 383, 9.5:1 vortec heads daily driver thanks for any help..

Also I read that these gaskets can be used up to a 4.030 bore? Even though they list 4.000?
First off, Its nice to see another Texas guy on here. I lived in HEB for 18 years.

Now that thats out of the way. I have always herd that using a gasket smaller then the bore diameter will cause pre-ignition, But nothing has been proven to me yet. My self, I would just go for the 4.100 gaskets and be done with it. Thats the exact gasket im using on a 355 with edelbrock heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Slammedsi For This Useful Post:
0trbo4myCHEVUICK (06-02-2013)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,694
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 404 Times in 349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0trbo4myCHEVUICK View Post
Tell me if I should be looking at a different gasket but either

GM 14096405

or

GM 10105117

Is it just that the 10105117 is for aluminum heads and the other is for iron heads?
I see one is composite and one is steel/graphite

This is a 383, 9.5:1 vortec heads daily driver thanks for any help..

Also I read that these gaskets can be used up to a 4.030 bore? Even though they list 4.000?
Go with the 14096405 it is made for aluminum or iron it is a stainless core with graphite overlay, a very good piece and only .028 thick, it has a 4.1 bore it is made for the 4 inch bore motors and will accept a thirty over bore.

The 10105117 is the old thick composition gasket make on the 1980's gasket technology of the old L98 engine. It is twice as thick as the ....405 which aboslutly kills compression unless it's used with the 54-58 cc L98 head. Worse than that with a stock .025 inch piston to deck clearance, the .053 gasket adds up to .078 between the head and piston which just destroys the squish/quench function making an iron headed engine pretty detonation prone. This isn't such a difficulity for an aluminum head as they pull heat out faster than iron so the crappy squish/quench isn't such a big deal with them.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
0trbo4myCHEVUICK (06-02-2013)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2013, 05:27 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 12,591
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 700
Thanked 885 Times in 752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
The 10105117 is the old thick composition gasket make on the 1980's gasket technology of the old L98 engine. It is twice as thick as the ....405 which aboslutly kills compression unless it's used with the 54-58 cc L98 head. Worse than that with a stock .025 inch piston to deck clearance, the .053 gasket adds up to .078 between the head and piston which just destroys the squish/quench function making an iron headed engine pretty detonation prone. This isn't such a difficulity for an aluminum head as they pull heat out faster than iron so the crappy squish/quench isn't such a big deal with them.
Bogie
Bogie, you may be thinking of another part number. The 10105117 shows everywhere that it is a 4.000" x 0.028" composition gasket.

The question with the gasket is whether or not to use it on a 4.030" bore. Personally, an additional 0.015" on the radius wouldn't seem to me to push the gasket out into the cylinder far enough for it to become a player in preignition, but then again, I don't have the facilities or tools to find out since retiring. I would think that the width of the chamfer that the machinist cuts at the top of the cylinder to ease the rings in might have some bearing on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
0trbo4myCHEVUICK (06-02-2013)
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2013, 01:23 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NorthRichlandHills, TX
Posts: 452
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 132
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
Go with the 14096405 it is made for aluminum or iron it is a stainless core with graphite overlay, a very good piece and only .028 thick, it has a 4.1 bore it is made for the 4 inch bore motors and will accept a thirty over bore.

The 10105117 is the old thick composition gasket make on the 1980's gasket technology of the old L98 engine. It is twice as thick as the ....405 which aboslutly kills compression unless it's used with the 54-58 cc L98 head. Worse than that with a stock .025 inch piston to deck clearance, the .053 gasket adds up to .078 between the head and piston which just destroys the squish/quench function making an iron headed engine pretty detonation prone. This isn't such a difficulity for an aluminum head as they pull heat out faster than iron so the crappy squish/quench isn't such a big deal with them.

Bogie
.
Ok, 14096405 is what i was thinking as well.. So i CAN use it with .030 over bore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 1,153
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 101 Times in 93 Posts
If the 10105117 gaskets are Multi Layer Steel (MLS) head gaskets, they are for use with 1996 and later TTY head bolts and require a polished, almost mirror like, head and block surface finish.

TTY head bolts are installed by factory robotic machines that can install all the bolts evenly at the same time. That is particularly good for modern thin head castings and aluminum heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NorthRichlandHills, TX
Posts: 452
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 132
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Okay I see now where the 1010 lists 4.000 bore, and the 140 lists 4.100 bore


So I should be fine using the 140 because my 4.030 bore is not over 4.100. Much appreciated all!
Glad to see a couple Texans on this thread, We all need to meet up and cruise to corpus Christi or w/e!



Brand:Chevrolet Performance

Manufacturer's Part Number:10105117

Part Type:Head Gaskets

Product Line:Chevrolet Performance Composition Head Gaskets

Summit Racing Part Number:NAL-10105117



Bore (in):4.000 in.

Bore (mm):101.600mm

Gasket Material:Composite

Compressed Thickness (in):0.028 in.

Compressed Volume (cc):5.766cc

Lock Wire:No

Quantity:Sold individually.

Notes:Not for use on engines having larger than a 4.000 in. cylinder bore.

In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.






Brand:Chevrolet Performance

Manufacturer's Part Number:14096405

Part Type:Head Gaskets

Product Line:Chevrolet Performance Head Gaskets

Summit Racing Part Number:NAL-14096405



Bore (in):4.100 in.

Bore (mm):104.140mm

Gasket Material:Stainless steel and graphite multi-layer

Compressed Thickness (in):0.028 in.

Lock Wire:No

Quantity:Sold individually.

In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Slammedsi's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vernon, TX
Posts: 257
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 118
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yep. The 4.100 gasket is the ones I just ordered for my 355 build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NorthRichlandHills, TX
Posts: 452
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 132
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammedsi View Post
Yep. The 4.100 gasket is the ones I just ordered for my 355 build.
Right on! Enjoy the edelbrocks, what compression/quench are you going to have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2013, 01:47 PM
BigEd36's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Auburn, IN
Age: 65
Posts: 378
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
This question concerning the 10105117 head gasket bore has come up numerous times. A while back I contacted Pace Performance customer service about this. Their rep physically measured one of the gaskets and this is the reply I received:

Quote:
Hello Ed,
I measured the bore on one of these gaskets and they are a 4.085" so there is no problem at all with .030" overbore, would even be okay with a .060" overbore. we do have them in stock.

Mark
I would have no problem using this in a street 355 or 383 build.

Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BigEd36 For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (06-02-2013)
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2013, 03:37 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 12,591
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 700
Thanked 885 Times in 752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0trbo4myCHEVUICK View Post
Right on! Enjoy the edelbrocks, what compression/quench are you going to have?
Here's the way it started off.....
What pistons are these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
Slammedsi (06-02-2013)
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Slammedsi's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vernon, TX
Posts: 257
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 118
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Here's the way it started off.....
What pistons are these?
Thanks tech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gasket material for accessories jims48 Body - Exterior 7 04-15-2013 04:04 PM
Best gasket material for intake manifold? Nite Life Engine 10 08-11-2010 06:32 PM
Supercharger Gasket Material? xxllmm4 Engine 4 02-03-2009 08:21 PM
Gasket material oldred General Rodding Tech 6 11-05-2007 12:02 AM
Gasket material? 52Caddy Transmission - Rearend 1 07-02-2004 10:49 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.