ALL Aluminum SBC???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 05:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ALL Aluminum SBC????

We're gonna do it! I finally gave in and my son and I are gonna drop a "All Aluminum" 427 in our 69' Camaro. Who needs a savings account, anyway? I can't save it for old age, I'm already there!!!

NOW, here's where you guys come in............(please?)......which block do we go for ??????
Donavan? World? Brodix? Dart? Have I overlooked any one else? I need to hear what everyone has to say and everyone's comments are welcome. There are no irrelavant perspectives!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2006, 10:56 AM

Donovan or K.B. would be my choice for racing Chevrolets. World Castings would be my choice for street Chevs. Dart and Brodix are good also but I think I can get the World block a little cheaper and have the same quality and engineering as D and B.

I think you'll be happy with either. In terms of cost, I think you're always money ahead to go with the aluminum block due to the repairability and the engineering. There is also value in knowing your son should be able to play with that block when his son is old enough to care about cars.

Last edited by 56Maynard; 03-03-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:09 AM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

hmm.. aluminum SBC or BBC? what about the new SBC LS1? them is aluminum too. and they make mounts for them to fit your 69 subframe. i think totally decked out they are like 370lbs... compared to 525lb standard SBC. also the aftermarket is booming on them... you can make 400hp easy... but getting one you could go to the local chevy dealer and get one turn key, or find a salvage yard and get a 97 up 4th gen f body or vette... cost of getting a aluminum block $4k then filling it with all the parts... even more... cost of getting a whole car from the salvage yard... probably around $4k...
Old 03-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Why aluminum?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:08 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

If you are starting from scratch, I think an LS1 is a good idea also. There are plenty of 427 short block LS1 combinations out there, they are not cheap, but this motor is not going to be cheap. There is what I would consider:

Short block:
http://www.agostino-racing.com/packa...ort6&sm=sm2_pt

Heads: 225 AFR
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=26563

Cam:
XE281HR (232 234 @.050 .595 .598 lift) 2400-7200 (it will come on sooner in a 427.

This motor would probably make around 650 hp pretty easliy.

As far as standard stuff goes, I am not really sure what would be the best, but I have heard of guys having $6000 in the block alone after the machine work.

Here are some standard Dart aluminum blocks to consider:
http://www.flatlanderracing.com/dartalumblocks.html

One other thing to consider: For cheaper, you could build an iron block 598 or 632. A pump gas 598 with the AFR 357cc heads and the right cam will pretty easily be in the 800 hp range.

Adam

Last edited by firestone; 03-03-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

Buy one from World Products that's already done.

Larry
Old 03-03-2006, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

Wow!

We want the aluminum for the weight savings, not for racing but for when we do hit the curves to enjoy all the new suspention.
I'm a 60's kid, who never had the $$$$ to put the benchmark 427 in my 69 SS back in 1971, now I do.
The WOW effect of an "aluminum 427" is just to sooth my ego and make me smile a little bigger. My son is happy to put anything under the hood as long as it makes over 500 horses!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldknock
Buy one from World Products that's already done.

Larry
Help me out "coldknock" why?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:21 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

Those merlin lite blocks seem to be a good deal compared to the others. I tried to find a short block using the merlin block, but could not find one. Here is another motor I would consider using standard stuff.

Merlin lite block;
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0719&langId=-1

motown 4340 427 rotating assembly PN 101105 This with a set of heads with 64cc combustion chambers would put you around 10.8:1 compression.
http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/fram...wnengines.html

Adam
Old 03-03-2006, 04:30 PM

Dart or Brodix are the two choices we look at AFTER looking at all of them up close. I have run a Dart aluminum for about 5 years now. Pretty bulletproof. I'd highly recommend either. Whatever you choose make sure it's setup for a wetsump system. Some variations are dry sump only.

Making these blocks work is not a bolt together deal. Lots of tweaking needs to happen. Also, it's well worth the effort to go with a tall deck. You can get much better rod ratios while still maintaining pin height at a reasonable level. Also, make sure you have the spread rails at the bottom for stroker clearance and raised cam tunnel. Much easier to make everything fit. A 4.125 stroke drops in with minimal clearancing.

When building a motor like this for the street it's going to hit peak HP quite low, in the 6000 RPM range. The ONLY way to get a peak higher is with a big runner 17 or so degree head, then you can peak around 7000. So the moral of all that is build the motor around that expectation. It's not going to need to be reved to make huge power. The cylinder head is the restriction.

Also, the cubic inches are big block range, so what is big for a 350 is not for a 427 small block. A 220cc runner head is small on these motors. I run a 240cc runner head, and that is small for what I'm doing. 1 7/8 headers is reasonable, Super Victor E intake would be reasonable as will a 800 CFM carb.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fine69
Help me out "coldknock" why?
No fussing with parts that don't fit and running about looking for a machinist with the skills necessary to make them fit, properly. It makes the power you're looking for with room to grow if ya get greedy, we all do. Not to mention the warranty.

I believe they are also broken in and tuned on a dyno. No wondering if something was done right, it's already tested.

Larry
Old 03-03-2006, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

Ahhh!

Thanks Larry! Now I understand, you know what you're talking about.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

Rick

That's a great help. Your 70' must be a screamer. Did you ever run it on the 1/4 mile?
Old 03-05-2006, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

Donavan or Brodix?????

What I need to figure out is if one block is better for street use? Or is more reliable than the other?
So, if any of you guys know someone who has a Brodix or Donavan and has anything to say about them .......?????????
Old 03-05-2006, 10:17 AM

While having not personally measured the coolant capacity of a World block as opposed to Bro or Dart, I do believe that the World block holds more water for better cooling then the other two. You could call all three of em and ask what the capacity is.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.