All metal, Or Dura-Glass - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 06:56 PM

Last journal entry: Doors
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

All metal, Or Dura-Glass

hello, Im working on my 1969 firebird convertible. Im getting ready to do the body work next week and i have to order supply's. Im going to be putting on this filler up to 3/4's of an inch thick ( i know its not the right thing to do) But im up in the air on what i should use. Some people are telling me dura-glass sticks better shrinks less, and some people tell me All metal sticks and shrinks the least. Im not sure which to go for. Any help would be greatly apreaciated. I heard dura-glass is alot easy to work with, but my big objective is long-jevity

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
Lets back up here a little, why do you think you must put the filler on this thick? I am thinking we could walk you thru getting that metal a little better.

If you do decide on the monster fill job, go with the Duraglass, Evercoats "Everglass" or "Kitty hair". These are some super high filling products that are much easier to sand than the metal filled stuff.

Brian
Old 12-30-2006, 07:40 PM
car builder

Last photo:

I would replace the panel.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

My vote would be the fiberglass filler. I've seen it used and abused (hey I worked on used car bones for awhile) and haven't seen cases of it falling out or cracking. I've also used all metal products at a yacht builder, and I find it more of a pain to work with then fiberglass, and have read some horror stories about it here and there. But I am with the other guys, why not replace that panel, or at least work it out some more. It is a fiberbird convertable, not a geo metro or something. Unless you are looking to unload the problem on someone else and let the next bodyman shake his head when its reworked correctly. If you are going to spend the money for a decent paint and primers, I don't see why you would want to put it over that much filler. I'll admit, I've done it before at shops who were more concerned about getting a bunch of stuff in and out, and on real beaters, but don't know why you would want to do it if this is a project car you want to build and keep and plan to use anything but the cheapest of paint on. Prep and metal work is 90% of the quality of the job, you really want to spend time and do the best job you can in this area.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the input so far. I Probaably exadurated with amount of filler needed. The work ive done on the car was; put on in-er and out-er wheele houses, the full trunk pan from floor boards back, rear seat support, NOS tail panel, 2 qaurter skins, 2 floor boars, inner rear valeince, and new dash. The problem i had is that it turns out that on one side when i welded on the qaurter skinn the upper panel was bowed in a little bit, and i still welded on the skin. This is the area where i need the thicker filler, maybe a 1/2 inch. I work in a auto-body shop where we do real high end restorations and regular collision work. At the shop half the guys say All metal and Half say Dura-glass
Old 12-30-2006, 11:50 PM

Last photo:

I know you are exaggerating with the 1/2", it just can't be THAT much. Maybe a quarter inch?

Brian
Old 12-31-2006, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

Glad to hear you probably exaggerated a bit. I'd hate to see you loading that car with filler, but now that hear more of the story, sounds like you are doing it right, replacing all those panels. Anyway you can access behind the upper panel (are you talking sail panel?) and bump it out or make any progress with a stud welder?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:33 AM

Last photo:

fill it up?

to fill or not to fill that is your decision-from my experiences the allmetal will stick to bare metal and break away from itself leaving a thin coating on the bare metal where duraglass will stick to itself and not adhere to the bare metal . i did these tests using 2 strips of ground metal put both products on an eighth of an inch thick and bent them in half. i then placed them on a plate in some water the water got under the duraglass but even tho the allmetal was broken away the metal was not rusty but still "alum"color.so i found the allmetal has superior adhesion compared to duraglass. we use allmetal lots on welds and it sticks and flows into the pinholes whereas duraglass bridges overtop.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:01 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

First.... How is the metal prepped right now? Is it in epoxy(preferred) to protect it from corrosion? If it has epoxy on it, then good. If not, I would do that right away.

I would work the metal out as good as posible, with your experience level, and use the Duraglass. With all the work you have done to this point, you don't want to cut corners now. Can you post some photos of what you have? Someone here can help you figure out your best plan of attack from that point.

Aaron
Old 12-31-2006, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Did an old Ford a while back, car had been done in laquer at least 20 years ago minimum. I chemical stripped the car down to bare metal, when I got to the quarters could not beleive had all metal filler in some spots that were 1/2 inch thick. Looking at the quarters, no shrinkage, blistering, bubbleing or cracking before stripping this made a beleiver out of me that this thick of an application held up that long with no evidence of filler at all. If you must use that thick of an application the all metal is the way to go from what I have seen first hand.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Use Everglass or Glass Lite IMO. 1/2" is a heavy fill and beyond what filler manufacturer's recomend. Try bumping that area out to within 1/8" and if it is a flat spotted shrunk area this might require some stretching. You can get that metal much closer than where it is now I'm sure. If the stretch goes to far you'll need to shrink it back down and this is best done with a shrinking disc. Post some pictures of the problem area and I'm sure you'll get some detailed instructions from the crew here. Use two coats of a quality epoxy primer over your metal and allow it to cure up overnight before applying any fillers-this will aid in adhesion and also help with the different expansion rates between the filler and metal. And yes expansion and contraction can create some problems where there's a heavy fill. Avoid the long and strong, kitty and tiger hair long strand fiberglass fillers especially if epoxy primer isn't going to be used under them.

Rodnik's test results differ from what I've seen using the silver colored fillers, no all metal for me-I've seen to many failures.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnik
to fill or not to fill that is your decision-from my experiences the allmetal will stick to bare metal and break away from itself leaving a thin coating on the bare metal where duraglass will stick to itself and not adhere to the bare metal . i did these tests using 2 strips of ground metal put both products on an eighth of an inch thick and bent them in half. i then placed them on a plate in some water the water got under the duraglass but even tho the allmetal was broken away the metal was not rusty but still "alum"color.so i found the allmetal has superior adhesion compared to duraglass. we use allmetal lots on welds and it sticks and flows into the pinholes whereas duraglass bridges overtop.
Interesting test. I have never done such a test on these products so I don't know, but your findings are interesting. I have to bet that if you epoxy it first the results will be different. THEN, maybe the duraglass (or Everglass) would be a better choice? hmmmmmm

Mr4speed, like I have said many times, if filler is used anywhere near correct it will out last the car, AND you and I.

Brian
Old 12-31-2006, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys for the input so far, from your posts im leaning toward all-metal but not positive yet. As far as metal prep, Its going to be freshly sand blasted then run over with a big DA, the day before doing the plastic work. But i really think its prob a matter of personal choice
Old 12-31-2006, 12:20 PM
car builder

Last photo:

try to metal finish the area.
thats the best way.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:27 PM

Last photo:

Would stick the best to the freshly blasted metal for sure.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.