Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - All new brake system - no pedal
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 04:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

All new brake system - no pedal

62 Studebaker being converted to small block Chevy. Stock Studebaker front drums with new wheel cylinders and brake shoes. Rear is a Ford 8.8 drum brake rear end. All new wheel cylinders and shoes. All new lines. New Ford manual drum brake master cylinder from 1970 Torino. I bled all brakes and still had no pedal, only slight resistance but went all the way to floor. I realized I never adjusted the drum brakes so went back and brought them all up. Pedal is same. So I took off the M/C cover and when I press on the brake pedal, fluid shoots like a geyser from the front reservoir (for rear brakes). There are 2 holes in each resrvoir (see picture). In each reservoir there is a larger hole to the rear and a very small hole towards the front, almost like a pinhole. The fluid is squirting up from the small hole at the front. This happens as soon as pressure is applied to pedal and conrtinues through the stroke. This only happens on the front; nothing on the rear reservoir. It is all fluid. there are no air bubbles. If I depress the pedal very slowly you can see the motion of the fluid coming up but not breaking the surface, so I know there are zero air bubbles.

Is this normal to have fluid squirt up from that hole? Any other thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1753.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	931.3 KB
ID:	69377