Hot Rod Forum banner

All new brake system - no pedal

4K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
62 Studebaker being converted to small block Chevy. Stock Studebaker front drums with new wheel cylinders and brake shoes. Rear is a Ford 8.8 drum brake rear end. All new wheel cylinders and shoes. All new lines. New Ford manual drum brake master cylinder from 1970 Torino. I bled all brakes and still had no pedal, only slight resistance but went all the way to floor. I realized I never adjusted the drum brakes so went back and brought them all up. Pedal is same. So I took off the M/C cover and when I press on the brake pedal, fluid shoots like a geyser from the front reservoir (for rear brakes). There are 2 holes in each resrvoir (see picture). In each reservoir there is a larger hole to the rear and a very small hole towards the front, almost like a pinhole. The fluid is squirting up from the small hole at the front. This happens as soon as pressure is applied to pedal and conrtinues through the stroke. This only happens on the front; nothing on the rear reservoir. It is all fluid. there are no air bubbles. If I depress the pedal very slowly you can see the motion of the fluid coming up but not breaking the surface, so I know there are zero air bubbles.

Is this normal to have fluid squirt up from that hole? Any other thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
The squirting is normal. The latest MC I bought had bench bleeding instructions that were different than the usual way of running hoses from the outlets back into the reservoir or a can of fluid.

The new directions were to block off both outlet ports w/the enclosed plastic plugs, then to depress the piston w/a dowel, etc. slowly and to not bottom it, until there were no more bubbles from the ports in the floor of the reservoir.

Now, I'm not positive that will work w/ANY MC or not, but I suspect it will. Might be worth a try if you have plugs that fit, otherwise you'll need to do it the normal way. You should have gotten the plastic fittings and lines w/the MC. If not, I'd go back and ask for them- they'll take them from the next guy's MC.:mwink:

But however you do it, do it!:)

Also be sure the pushrod has some clearance when the pedal is at rest. Sometimes a spring is needed to assist the pedal to fully return.

#8 ·
Yep I missed this step. I have a real tight setup with the clutch MC next to it, so I put short pigtails on the M/C to clear the congestion and connected the lines to the pigtails below the M/C. If I disconnect the lines from the pigtails and attach new line from them and run them back into the bowls, this should allow me to bleed it on the car correct?

#10 ·
Yes, that is right. Don't push the brake pedal hard/fast, and don't bottom it out if you can help it. This won't hurt, but makes bleeding a little easier because the trapped air will not become 'frothy'. I always replace the lid while bleeding to keep the fluid from getting out.

If time permits, bleed them then go have a coke, then come back and bleed them again. Rapping on the outside of the MC w/a hammer handle or rubber/rawhide mallet will sometimes allow air to be bled that was clinging to the internals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.