All right all you Ford guys, a couple of questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 07:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

All right all you Ford guys, a couple of questions

First of all, Granada front disc swaps. Why does everyone do this and put them as manual brakes, not power? I've found like 4 pages on this in the past 30 minutes, but no one explains this. Is power front disc just too big a hassle? Or is there inherent problems in Ford power brakes?

2nd, 1964 Ford Fairlane, 2 dr car, originally a 289/ Ford-o-matic. How hard to plumb in 302 and AOD out of a 1985 Ford F-150? Super super tough, or relatively easy swap? The 302 is carburated, and has points ignition. If that's too tough, how about a 351M out of a 79 Ford Bronco?

3rd, Are there any power rack and pinion swaps for a 1964 Ford Fairlane? I see mustang II and pinto manual r & p selling brand new in Summit catalog, but no application data. Is this just a mustang swap, or will it fit Fairlanes?

4th, Will all the questions about the Fairlane also apply to a 1962 Ford Country Sedan 4dr wagon?

Brado

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Be American, Buy American!

Shades_o_Grey, you will get a better response to your questions if you post them in the proper forum. Go to the bulletin board scan down to the proper forum for each of your questions.

Al
Old 03-10-2006, 05:45 PM

Manual brakes

In my experience its because the booster is just too darned big to easily clear the shocktowers.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:50 PM

other answers

302 is easy, but AOD probably won't clear trans tunnel. Rack and pinion won't bolt in but if you're brave you could fab your own bracketry. yes if wagon it fairlane based. if Galaxie based then no.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades_o_Grey
First of all, Granada front disc swaps. Why does everyone do this and put them as manual brakes, not power? I've found like 4 pages on this in the past 30 minutes, but no one explains this. Is power front disc just too big a hassle? Or is there inherent problems in Ford power brakes?

2nd, 1964 Ford Fairlane, 2 dr car, originally a 289/ Ford-o-matic. How hard to plumb in 302 and AOD out of a 1985 Ford F-150? Super super tough, or relatively easy swap? The 302 is carburated, and has points ignition. If that's too tough, how about a 351M out of a 79 Ford Bronco?

3rd, Are there any power rack and pinion swaps for a 1964 Ford Fairlane? I see mustang II and pinto manual r & p selling brand new in Summit catalog, but no application data. Is this just a mustang swap, or will it fit Fairlanes?

4th, Will all the questions about the Fairlane also apply to a 1962 Ford Country Sedan 4dr wagon?

Brado

Done several here:

1) Manual disc has the same pedal feel as manual drums. Power brake unit is quite crowded in a 62-65 Fairlane. 2 companies do make them that fit with little shock tower modifications, but $$$. A Fairlane is just a Granada with 8 inches more wheelbase. G knuckles on a 62-65 Fairlane has additional bump steer because the G steering arms are 1 /2 inch lower than the stock arms. Easier brake pedal feel with manual brakes can be had by using the 79 only Mustang manual brake cylinder which is inches not metric.

2) 5.0s are a drop in for a 289. The AOD does require some floor modification. T-5 manual is a drop in. Any M will be too wide for the shock towers. Ws are excessively tight also. The 62-65 Fairlane is the narrowest of all Fords.

3) Rebuild your steering with new parts and urethane bushings. Keep the caster specs to the negative end and it will drive fine. Replace rear spring bushings with urethane and eliminate the rubber spring isolators also.

4) The 62 big car needs different chassis parts. The 5.0/AOD drops in easily because the big car was built for an FE engine and Cruis-o-matic trans.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
maverickman514 In my experience its because the booster is just too darned big to easily clear the shocktowers.
Exactly right

All of the smaller early Fords were tight on space in that area. (meaning non-full size)

I found a company that sells a special booster that is desined for 64 1/2 - 66 tangs. It should work in the fairlane too! But, I have never attemped it.
The booster is claimed at 6in long vs. the stock 13in.

I would expect to replace the pedal to booster push rod if you install any power assist. Also, many have a diffrent pedal pivot point to change the actual applied pressure. < A new pedal can get pricey for just a bent piece a steel with a hole in it>

I am quite frustrated at the moment as I cannot locate the artical in the umpteen dozen magazines floating round here. If I see it I'll post the manufacture name.

Handy to know one is out there though, meaning if you dig around you can find a booster that will fit better.

MrBoo
Old 03-24-2006, 08:01 PM

Last journal entry: Surprise Rust in The Trunk

I was actually wondering that question about the granada brake swap also... I was debating doing it on my 64 thunderbird... but i wanted power brakes... my tbird already has the powerbrake booster for drum brakes. but i wasn't sure if I would need a different booster or not when swapping to the granada brakes. or if the granada swap would even work with the thunderbird front end.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

The Granada question is simple. The swap involves the brakes, spindles, tierod ends (usually), reworking a couple of brake lines, and a master cylinder swap. This constitutes a "Granada swap". If you want to upgrade to power brakes that's actually a different profect. On Mustangs at least, you can add power brakes with or without swapping to disks. On 67+Mustangs moving up to power brakes is simply a matter of ordering readily available correct replacement parts to do so as power brakes were a factory option. Earlier Mustangs usually get a specialty kit or a custom setup due to space restrictions as they are a bit smaller.
My Granada brakes are manual simply because I don't care much for power brakes and prefer to have the room underhood for other stuff. My daily driver F150 pickup came factory with manual disk+drum brakes and they've always been just fine with me too.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:00 PM

fairlane swap

why are you swaping a 289 for a 302 as far as Iam concerned they are better than the 302s but the aod trannys are cool because of great fuel mileage and the overdrive makes them really smooth down the highway instead of the old poor tranny only having 3 gears making the engine wine going down the highway plus there are alot of shift kit options for the Aod. but this engine swap and tranny swap would not be hard I donot think that you even have to swap the engin mounts i think it is all the same. and having a points distriputer is better than the electronics kind is because you dont have the problem of an expensive part like the wonder box going out you just have to replace the points every once in a while.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.