Allison torque converter?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Allison torque converter??

Ok here's another possibility, the powerglide t/c to a 30 spline th400 is out. I talked to Mike @ Freakshow t/c, he used to work for Art Carr/Redneck before they went belly up. He says he can build a nice Allison t/c that will be pretty much bullet proof to fit my '32 Ford with the 507" Cadillac. It would be a 12" unit that will have 1800-2200 stall, my engine is supposed to idle at around 800 in gear. As said before going to dyno it next month then I'll know exactly what I'll need stall wise. I'm not in any hurry, just looking at viable options, does the sound like it would be a good t/c for a street cruiser with lots of torque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 06:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

As pointed out in your other thread on this application; an experienced converter person can build what your application requires.

It is all about fin angle inside the converter. Fin angle in the converter shell, turbine angle and stator fin angles. Clearance of these parts as the 2 pieces are welded together play a part of it too.

Call Hughes Performance , talk only to Pete ; he is sales manager with your specs on the engine and vehicle. What you are building is not that unusual of a package of power.

Caddy motor do not like to rev high, so your gear choice is important too
Old 06-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I think your stall is set up too tight..what is needed ffor the street is having the stall set so at an idle the car will not want to creep as in being stopped at a light..the stall in the stock cad is set tight because that is a big heavy car and takes a lot to move it..on our street rods we need a loose converter because they weigh a lot less and move easier..As far as revving a Cad motor the weakness is in the valve train as Cad never intended to rev high as what was needed was lots of down low torque to move a heavy car and not disturb the occupants while doing that hence the lots of cubes. That was the design philosophy of the cad drivetrain..

Sam
Old 06-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for your replys....I have already spoken with Pete @ Hughes, he must of been having a "ho-hum" day because he was less than enthused about my set up. I'm well aware of the Cad's engine design and weaknesses, that's why I installed forged cap screw rods and a shaft mounted roller rocker system.....among other upgrades during the complete re-build.

This engine will only see 5k very occasionally, I'll reword my question, will the Allison be overkill or would a well built TH400 converter with the usual upgrades be a better deal? I don't want to beat this subject to death, just want the right converter to start with so I don't have to tear it out after the car is done.....again thanks for your input........Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2300.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	65779   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2278.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	629.6 KB
ID:	65780  
Old 06-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
Thanks for your replys....I have already spoken with Pete @ Hughes, he must of been having a "ho-hum" day because he was less than enthused about my set up. I'm well aware of the Cad's engine design and weaknesses, that's why I installed forged cap screw rods and a shaft mounted roller rocker system.....among other upgrades during the complete re-build.

This engine will only see 5k very occasionally, I'll reword my question, will the Allison be overkill or would a well built TH400 converter with the usual upgrades be a better deal? I don't want to beat this subject to death, just want the right converter to start with so I don't have to tear it out after the car is done.....again thanks for your input........Dave
Pete is a laid back , knowledgeable guy. Your application is not that extreme .

Just a good converter build, with proper parts put together will work well for this.

I dismiss the allison converter comment myself, but then I've been in the biz a few years
Old 06-02-2012, 02:31 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

id just use a oe converter a th350 is a bit lighter i would stay under 2000rpm if u go with a stall converter i agree the allision is over kill for a street rod just get a transstar or dacco converter youll be fine and save a few dolllars

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.