Allison Trans - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2002, 12:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Allison Trans

The Allison 1000 5 speed trans is actualy a 6 speed trans. If you drop the #3 servo and pick up the #2 and #4 servo at the same time this trans will go into 6th gear. This is a second overdrive gear which will lower the RPM's signifcantly at cruising speed. Acheiving greater fuel mileage. Chevy/Allison did not want these transmissions spinning the tail shafts that fast, so they only let the Allison 1000 pick up 5 gears. While towing heavy payloads the tail shaft wont receive enough lubrication to cool the components (in 6th gear). There-for they locked out this gear. I tow a 3500 lb ski boat. Now the question.--- Who has the soft ware to change the program to pick up the gear that is already in the trans not being used??? I have lots of friends with the same Duramax Diesel/Allison 1000 5/6 speed Trans wanting to pay for this option. There are also 136.000 more on the road that may be interested. Deseldr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2002, 08:40 AM
At a loss for words

So I take it that the Allison transmissions are fully computer controlled? If that's the case, I tend to wonder if a speed shop (or possibly even dealer) has the capabilities through their diagnostics machine. You could try to contact Allison directly but I don't know if that would get you anyway. Also, you could try to get a hold of people that make the "power programmers" for your vehicle and see if they can offer any information for you.
Sorry that I can't be of much help with this. Those trannies are probably a little to advanced to find help here.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

I belive they have come out with new chips for them. Our VP has one and has been waiting on them to come out and seems like I heard him talking about it. He is out of town so I cant ask him right now. But he was going thru a speed shop for it. I also know he just did a BINKS conversion on the exhust so may check see who is your authorized Brinks dealer in your area and start there. The VP will be back I thing next week and Ill ask him.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:26 PM

Check on the interchange with a reputable salvage yard. If Allison made this a six speed they sold it to someone using it as such. Likely it would be in a GMC short straight truck supplied by Isuzu. These units are available with either the diesel or G.M. gas engines.

Hope it helps.

Old 10-19-2003, 03:07 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

I just bought a non computer MT42 Allison 6 speed auto

I am in great need of information on this tranny. I am searching ebery where. It was too good a deal to pass up. Got it for $250.00. Any of you have experince with the non computer 6 speeds? Or a good site to learn from?
Slider in Wa.Thanks
Old 10-19-2003, 07:45 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Slider, I don't know squat about Allison 5/6 speed autos. I think you have the manual coming from a V-6 bus that was a diesel? Think you may have the right deal for your COE if you can get it hooked up to your 455. What I am hearing about the new automatic, computerized Allison, it is not so strong and some expensive repairs have been in order. I'll check with some of my long time diesel Buds and see what they have ot say about your bus tranny.

Trees

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.