Hot Rod Forum banner

Almost ready for paint.

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  thrown_hammer 
#1 ·
Well thanks to you guys for the paint booth ideas I bit the bullet. The car is primered and wetsanded and just waiting for Mother Nature to cooperate. (Which looks like maybe Friday)

Here are a couple pics of the primer job.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey it looks very nice and clean for paint. I noticed the paint can in the back of the 3rd picture, are you using Martin Senour autopaint? If so what type of primer or,sealer is that? Im all done with the body-work on my blazer and would like to spray one last coat of some sealer. Just curious Thanks, Chris

#6 ·
That looks great. I'm about 2-3 days behind you on my 74 Vette project. Man what a job!! The factory primer/sealer was bad (cracked like a dried up lake ) and ruined the factory paint job, then someone primed and painted lacquer over that. Iv'e got it down to the fiberglass about 90% done, just some detail areas left. I'm a mechanic not a painter so I went to my local auto body supply store (Wesco) and told them "I'm a dummy tell me how to do it right the first time as I don't ever want to do this again" $280.00 later I got PPG K36-Q primer/cat/reducer, tape, paper, and a bunch of freebies (graduated buckets, strainers, sticks, ect). Iv'e read my books, got my guns, masks and portable paint booth. NOW I'm armed and dangerous!! This ought to be an experience. You go First. and share with us how it goes.:thumbup:

p.s. I'm gonna see if I can trade my last teenager that's at home for the Paint..:D

#9 ·
Slick as a babys but.

Just a tip from an old painter. As soon as the primer or sealer or the paint drys to where it will not finger print, you should remove the masking tape and paper. If you don't, especially if the sun is on it for just a little while, even if it sets for a couple of days, you will have a heck of a time getting the tape and the residue of. Good Luck

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

#10 ·
Thanks guys! Not only is this my first exploit in painting a car...I also decided this would be a good time to put on a new F/G dog house!:spank: I asked 50 people how to paint a car and got 50 different answers. So I took what made sense to me and combined them. I plan to shoot color tommorow. With pics to follow on Monday. Fingers crossed.......:pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.