Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Almost stock 327 built for my 47 International Pickup
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 03:08 PM
1948 KB-1 International Pickup

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well, techinspector1, I appreciate all the work you put into the reply. I also spent some time reading most of the same quotes on the internet when it was brought up. It was rebuilt by a professional shop that only does engine and head rebuilding. They have been in business since the 40's. I had a Jeep engine rebuilt there with good results and have no reason not to trust them.
Ok, just made a call to the rebuilder and talked to the person that rebuilt the engine. He says that these heads are pretty much the same as the original 327 heads... with the exception of having hardened valve seats, larger valves and the bolt holes in the front of the head for accessories, says they are late heads. He said that there will not be any loss of compression and will not be a problem unless the engine is overheated.
For my use..I only want to drive the truck normally and it is not meant to be a high performance engine. With that said, I think, since I have never used the engine before, I will not know any difference anyway. I don't want to go to aftermarket heads, so what is the other choice anyway..he said Vortec heads are the ones with issues and would not be a good choice for me.
How many cars and trucks were produced with these heads and how many actually had any issues? I don't even know if that info is available.
Perhaps it is assumed that I want a high performance engine, but I don't. I just want a good solid motor for my truck. I have had several 70's model trucks and cars with 350 engines that ran for many miles with no problems except burning a ton of gas. So, I am going to stick with what I have and hope for the best.
Thanks again, Bob