Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Almost stock 327 built for my 47 International Pickup
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,143 Times in 942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbob View Post
He says that these heads are pretty much the same as the original 327 heads... with the exception of having hardened valve seats, larger valves and the bolt holes in the front of the head for accessories, says they are late heads.
882's are not "pretty much the same as the original 327 heads". Not even close from a combustion chamber volume standpoint. Most of those earlier heads were 64 cc's or smaller. The larger chambers in your 882 heads are what is producing the very low static compression ratio of your motor.

Quote:
He said that there will not be any loss of compression and will not be a problem unless the engine is overheated.
There is a large difference between the static compression ratio that you would have had by using heads with smaller chambers compared with the static compression ratio you have now with the larger chambers. That won't be a problem for you though, as you have indicated that you will be happy with a power range of idle to 4000. Just make sure that is the range of the cam, so that it is compatible with the low static compression ratio, like the cam I linked or something very similar. More cam than that will extend the intake valve closing point too far and leak off most of the compression in the cylinder, leaving you with a weak-suck operation.

Quote:
For my use..I only want to drive the truck normally and it is not meant to be a high performance engine. With that said, I think, since I have never used the engine before, I will not know any difference anyway.
Sounds right to me.

Quote:
I don't want to go to aftermarket heads, so what is the other choice anyway..he said Vortec heads are the ones with issues and would not be a good choice for me.
L31 Vortecs would have been one of the better choices in my opinion. With the proper pistons, the motor could have been built at a pump gas compatible 9.5:1 static compression ratio with a tight 0.035" to 0.045" squish, making more power and better fuel mileage than your present setup. Many Chevy heads, including the ones your shop used and the L31's are thinwall castings that are prone to cracking if you get them too hot.

Quote:
How many cars and trucks were produced with these heads and how many actually had any issues? I don't even know if that info is available.
Perhaps it is assumed that I want a high performance engine, but I don't. I just want a good solid motor for my truck. I have had several 70's model trucks and cars with 350 engines that ran for many miles with no problems except burning a ton of gas. So, I am going to stick with what I have and hope for the best.
Thanks again, Bob
OK cap'n, have a great day.