Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Almost there - Torqueflite A727 rebuild
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Almost there - Torqueflite A727 rebuild

1980 lockup unit, my first rebuild.

Taking it apart was easy, cleaning went ok, got all the seals, bushings & parts replaced. Installed a TF-2 shift kit while I was there.

Assembled everything back into respective sub-units, and stopped. I have a few questions before proceeding, don't want to mess it up and have to do it all over again in a month. I'm using the Munroe book and the YouTube vids by Southwest Automatics.

I had *no* endplay on the input side when I started taking things apart. It wouldn't budge at all. This seems weird. The output shaft gave me 0.17mm endplay.

My front clutch pack has a huge amount of clearance. Didn't have a feeler gauge handy, but using a ruler I measure 4.5mm from top of pressure plate to upper part of waved snap ring. That's 177 thou! The front clutch pack has 11 springs against the piston, 4 frictions and 4 steels. The pressure plate is the thickest available. I've been told I can add an additional steel to the bottom of the stack, but that will still leave me with too big a clearance. What else can I do? Can I simply add an additional friction and steel, or would that change things?

The rear pack's clearance is also on the largish side, but is close to spec. I might leave it, unless an additional steel is recommended there as well.

Other than that I just wanted to know of any gotcha's I might want to look out for when putting everything back in the casing.

Hope the knowledgeable people here can give me a virtual hand.

John