Alright JC here's quick tip. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 12:13 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I watch a group of painters at Ford paint all night and never wear any protection... they come out of the booth with their faces covered with base or primer or clear... whatever we happen to be spraying.. and they think I look funny wearing my mask and demanding new cartridges weekly... I dont find the humor in not being able to breath when you get just a little older... Retarded logic IMO... what good is it to paint and do this work, if when you could retire and really have total fun with it, you are setting in a chair with an oxygen tank, with one foot in the grave... I tell them all everyday... " You are a bunch of Idiots for not protecting yourselfs"... they just laugh and smile... whatever tough guys!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 07:25 AM

Last photo:

Something else to consider is the fact that a person will quickly become accustomed to the smell of various solvents after a few exposures and then they will no longer smell it. When I first started doing paint we were using lacquer and in only a short time I had family members asking "how do you stand that smell" whenever they came into my garage but I could'nt smell a thing! The point being is that it could be a serious mistake to rely on smell as an indicator of the level of solvents around you and some things such as ISOs don't have any odor if I understand right. Those painters that BK is talking about probably could not smell that crap if they had their nose stuck in the paint can which would tend to make the dangers easier to ignore. Over the years I have watched several welders destroy their health with smoke and GRINDING DUST even though some of us tried to warn them, they laughed at us then but they don't have enough breath left to laugh much today!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:43 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I did something dumb last Thursday !!

I've been doing my epoxying outside because I knew it would be sanded before any filler or 2K and have been pretty carefull with my mask and using a new set of NIOSCH charcoal cartridges to mix paint, to spray and clean up afterwards. I also used my chemical goggles, new nitrile gloves and sock. All went well until Thursday when I decided to finally primer the car body in the garage because rain showers had passed through. Instead of using my new SAS I decided that since I had had no problem with the rest of the car components outside, I'd be OK in the garage. NOT -- DUMB!! As I was spraying my recessed firewall, my mask snap came loose and I got a face full of fresh SPI epoxy primer. Friday was NOT a good day - I had eye troubles, constricted throat and wheezed plus felt like crap all day, Saturday was a lot better, but did no work and Sunday I was back to 99%. Today, Monday I'm back to normal(as I will ever be)

Lesson learned - I paid a bunch of bucks for that Hobbyaire SAS with a hood and am going to use it whenever I paint. My good health is not worth taking that kind of chance again.

Dave
Old 10-16-2006, 09:21 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Bondoking, good to hear you're careful now, while you're young.
Once you get old like me (and Barry ) your body starts reminding
you off all the things you did when younger. It's to late then.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

In the early 90's I went for to Herbert Standox certification school. The trainer handed out some toners in the classroom, so that we could look at the labels during the introduction of their products. One of the students opened a can in the middle of the class to see the pearl color that was inside. The trainer got short of breath and a little pail-faced almost instantly . He had to step out of the class room to catch his breath and shake it off. He then proceeded to tell us that he had painted for several years without using a respirator. Because of this, he had become "sensitized" to the paint. He had made it all the way through the can't smell it phase and landed in the absolutely must not smell it phase. I was definitely impacted by this experience and have taken protection seriously ever since. I've herd that the average life expectancy of a pro painter is 51. I hope to make it passed that. I would love to see my daughters have some grandkids some day (not rushing that at all)!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
speaking of safety has you been noticing all the mig welding without eye protection being preformed on the car/mc build shows... I guess face time is more important the seeing..... image even at the cost of ones own health, how shallow is that, and stupid.
Yep. The hand covering and glancing away technique...real cool.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
I'm of the "a picture is worth a thousand words" school. Could you snap a couple shots to show this tip in action.

Dewey
Sorry it took so long to get pics, but here are a few to help with this tip.
Notice, that it is important to keep the stick parellel with the panel. And to sand at an angle @ 45 degrees one direction then on the next pass sand at @ 90 degrees of that (cross-block). You don't want to dig grooves in the panel, so don't run the stick long ways, and avoid digging into radius and body-lines, those can be sanded with a soft-pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	16122   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	16123   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	16124   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	16125   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	16126  

Old 11-10-2006, 06:42 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Thanks colorme, very helpful pics.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.