Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Alsa "Killer Chrome" product review
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 08:11 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
...Do not really see this product taking a hold, maybe model building...
Interesting note on that Pepi. In doing my product research on Killer Chrome I came across a number of "modeling" web sites where folks had tried it out for their small scale projects. In every case that I was able to find, the results were rated as quite poor. Apparently there are some other alternatives for chroming these small plastic parts and they say the K.C. did not stack up well at all against those existing products.

Also I'm totally in agreement with you that Killer Chrome is a very poor substitute for actual chroming. I haven't done any homework on it but my guess is you'd be money ahead simply sending off your parts to an outfit that applies chrome professionally. The next best alternative might be the Caswell "Copy Chrome" process. I believe Willys36 has done this and speaks highly of it...and I trust his experience and judgement. More info on Caswell here

And for things like my shocks...which could not withstand the chemical chroming process or the heat from powder coating, I think the alternative is to either think far enough ahead when you make the original purchase and buy them chromed from the supplier or just be content with a nice paint job on them. I don't know what is involved in the Jet Hot type ceramic process but I would assume it can't be used after the fact on things like shocks.

One final observation that you made needs repeating. This stuff is very finicky to handle and apply. Like you say, there are way too many "gotchas" along the way...like absolute perfection in prepping the workpiece to strict adherence to application procedures. And even if you DO get everything else right, the cans themselves put out such a poorly atomized spray that it will blemish and blotch all those hours and hours of prep work.

Again, maybe in its liquid form applied via a gun or air brush, this is a decent and usable product in the hands of a master painter. But in the aerosol can form, in the hands of a hobbyist, it falls short.