Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Alsa "Killer Chrome" product review
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'OnEmpty
Marvin, what industrial waterborne clear are you using?.
well its a nicaraguan floor poly urethane(waterbased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'OnEmpty
You might want to try a waterborne product called 'Diamond Clear".
It's a single stage moisture cured urethane (MCU), and is VERY hard.
who makes it? just so people here give it a try sinse here in nicaragua we just dont have access to all the goodies you guys have back in the states...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
From the pictures it still looks better than the $200 Killer Chrome even though it is dulled a bit..
yeah I know, but its a enamel and not too durable on its own(you can't rubb it too much like its shown in the alsa videos) but works good after cleared..

Quote:
Thanks for posting this info and pics and thanks to RunninOnEmpty for the paint tip as well. .
yeah I am obsessed with chrome like alternatives and I have spent many hours trying to get the chrome paint as reflective as I can possible get I have spent many cans and countless of spoons in my quest and I think I have reach what is physicaly possible with chrome paint..

Quote:
Some day we just might find a workable alternative to get stuff looking like chrome. So I really like to see that folks are still experimenting and then sharing their findings.
that its exactly what I am doing right now also, I knew that chrome paint had a limit and started to see the possibility of a home made Silver Nitrate(Real electroless plating of the most reflective metal on earth which its silver) to give a real chrome look to plastic parts(or none conductive parts)

here its my limited work so far I am very close to produce process anybody could reproduce with hardware store chemicals(except silver nitrate ofcourse, unless you are like me and make silver nitrate with nitric acid and scrap silver to make things even cheaper)

here its my home made silvering gun: cost about 30$ top

here its Alsa Chrome FX chroming gun: cost(walther pilot's price 1,400$)

and here its my home made silvering chemicals(different from the basic tollen's reagent but based on it basic principles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKq39K3fmOY

here tollen's reagent just for reference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUX_cpFWNso