Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alsa "Killer Chrome" product review

99K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  nicamarvin 
#1 ·
There have been a couple threads on HR.Com mentioning Alsa "Mirra Chrome" and Alsa "Killer Chrome". I took the plunge and ordered up a couple aerosol spray cans of Killer Chrome and their associated aerosol Speed Clear. And today I tested out the product.

First let me say that Alsa also produces a line of their chrome finishes for spray gun or air brush use. I have not used those products and my review is solely in regards to the aerosol cans.

Second, Killer Chrome is not an inexpensive product. At nearly $40 for a 12 oz can of spray, it is very pricey. On top of that there gloss black undercoat and their speed clear is also $40 per can. So you are looking at nearly $120 just to do a very few parts.

THE APPLICATION PROCESS:

I just did a fairly extensive write up on how you must prep the piece you want to chrome and then how to apply the chrome itself in my journal (see entry 354 and following).

THE RESULTS:

Here's a picture of the four shocks that I "chromed".

At first glance (and from a distance) they might look OK for a spray can application. But have a closer look.

Because of the nozzle configuration (simple spray can nozzle is what is shipped...NOT the special nozzle shown at their web site) the cans leak, dribble, and spray very erratically. The material comes out in spurts and as a result large drops of spray land on the workpiece and result in a very noticeable blotching effect as shown in these pictures.

I tried a number of different techniques, from very short bursts of spray to long flowing strokes and none made the slightest bit of difference. The paint comes out in spurts and in big sloppy drips as you can see from all the residue which runs down the side of the can.

I am convinced this is not human error but rather a design problem. The chrome mixture simply does not atomize properly. Also, this was not just a "one can fluke". I had ordered two cans of paint and they both sprayed identically bad and both produced the ugly blotching effect.

My second major observation regarding this product is that it will not provide anything close to a chrome like finish unless the underlying workpiece is mirror smooth. And I mean absolutely, mirror, smooth.

The Alsa site recommends spraying the chrome directly over a gloss coat of paint, either black or clear. They specifically state that the gloss coat should not be sanded because any sanding scratches will diminish the chrome effect. The problem is that most of us, outside of the real pros on this site, can not shoot an absolutely smooth final coal of gloss paint free of all orange peel or blemishes. Almost all of us have to color sand and buff to get a mirror finish in our paints. So the Alsa recommended application method simply does not work. The results are like the picture below...more of a dull aluminum finish rather than a chrome.

So unless you are a highly skilled painter you will have to disregard the Alsa recommendations and color sand your piece and then do a very meticulous job of buffing. Easy on a nice flat piece like the one in picture above, but quite a challenge for more complicated and intricate pieces like the shocks shown.

Also, be warned that although there are a number of web sites (as well as Alsa) that claim Killer Chrome can be sprayed effectively over any smooth surface no matter what color, I didn't find this to be the case as all. I shot it over my grill insert, which was gray (and VERY smooth) and got absolutely no chrome or reflective effect whatsoever as you can see in this picture.

One final note regarding coverage. Even if the produce spayed nicely and went on without blemishes, it should be noted that it doesn't go very far. I shot my four shocks, the spring mount shown in the picture above and my grill insert and it took approximately 1 1/2 cans of paint...or about $60 worth. Add to that another $60 of the Alsa clear and the gloss black undercoat and you are looking at $130 to $150.

RECOMMENDATION:

I would say Killer Chrome in the aerosol can is a very expensive product which provides very mediocre results. The cans that are shipped are NOT what is advertised. On there web site they show two part cans (product and hardener in the same can). The web site demo video even shows you how to activate the hardener in the can by punching a special tab on the bottom. They also claim on the web site to have special nozzles for proper atomization. But what is shipped is simply a one part product with a common aerosol nozzle.

As shipped the nozzles leak, drip and create a sloppy spray with large droplets that create blotches and discoloration in the finish. The product is very finicky to use and is clearly not something that goes on quick and easy. In fact, you will be lucky to get anything even close to an acceptable chrome-like finish without investing massive amounts of time, energy and money. I can't recommend this product for any hot rod related projects.

See less See more
#10 ·
poncho62 said:
...You will probably find, that it dulls even more after a while.....
I'm going to shoot the Alsa clear coat over the shocks today just to see what happens (have to wait the recommended 24 hour drying time). I've read that simply applying the clear will reduce the reflectivity, so we shall see. Hopefully I'll have a few more pictures by tonight showing that part of the process.

#11 ·
I ordered this for some brackets and general hardware, sold by eastwood, after reading the directions on the can it went back. Had a ridiculous curing time with a whole lot of special prep and curing gotchas ... after reviewing all the hype I came to the conclusion that just chroming was a much better way to go.
One side bar in the end it is paint and might require a touch up ........ forget that with this stuff.
Do not really see this product taking a hold, maybe model building, but it more then likely would melt the plastic car into a puddle.

You took it further then I would have considering the price, just reading the instructions was the turn off for me. Thanks for the verification, so do you go to chrome now? Of course the shocks are out but what about the bracket..?

#12 ·
Arrowhead said:
... I feel kind of guilty know how much money you spent and I got free information.
Don't feel bad, I don't. As most of you know from reading my posts and journals, I like to toy with a lot of experimental and shadetree approaches on my projects. (Motto: We don't build no steengking cookie cutters.) So I'm used to having some things work (and save money) while other things fail miserably (and cost me a few bucks for the books and tuition).

I know I've gained a small fortune in knowledge (and stolen a number of good ideas) by reading your journal Arrowhead as well as the posts and journals of many others here on HR.Com. The cost of my little experiment with Killer Chrome is a drop in the bucket compared to what I've taken away from this site in excellent advice and hot rodding experience.

#13 ·
pepi said:
...Do not really see this product taking a hold, maybe model building...
Interesting note on that Pepi. In doing my product research on Killer Chrome I came across a number of "modeling" web sites where folks had tried it out for their small scale projects. In every case that I was able to find, the results were rated as quite poor. Apparently there are some other alternatives for chroming these small plastic parts and they say the K.C. did not stack up well at all against those existing products.

Also I'm totally in agreement with you that Killer Chrome is a very poor substitute for actual chroming. I haven't done any homework on it but my guess is you'd be money ahead simply sending off your parts to an outfit that applies chrome professionally. The next best alternative might be the Caswell "Copy Chrome" process. I believe Willys36 has done this and speaks highly of it...and I trust his experience and judgement. More info on Caswell here

And for things like my shocks...which could not withstand the chemical chroming process or the heat from powder coating, I think the alternative is to either think far enough ahead when you make the original purchase and buy them chromed from the supplier or just be content with a nice paint job on them. I don't know what is involved in the Jet Hot type ceramic process but I would assume it can't be used after the fact on things like shocks.

One final observation that you made needs repeating. This stuff is very finicky to handle and apply. Like you say, there are way too many "gotchas" along the way...like absolute perfection in prepping the workpiece to strict adherence to application procedures. And even if you DO get everything else right, the cans themselves put out such a poorly atomized spray that it will blemish and blotch all those hours and hours of prep work.

Again, maybe in its liquid form applied via a gun or air brush, this is a decent and usable product in the hands of a master painter. But in the aerosol can form, in the hands of a hobbyist, it falls short.

#15 · (Edited)
well i think from a distance they look pretty dam good.unless you enter your car in the SEMA or world of wheels ( and if you're gonna do that then you will spend the EXRTA and have it chromed or buy them chromed already).but for a fair gound type show they look good i mean how close are people gonna be putting thier face next to your ride anyway. dam they shouldnt be that close what happens while there looking so close at the painted chrome they spill 1/2 their soda on your 8000.00 paint job :sweat: :sweat:

#16 ·
My opinion.

I think anyone's best bet for wanting a chrome look is to go and get some parts chromed. There is only so close that someone can get with a spray can to the actual thing. I have to say that the link to that spray product that was linked is AMAZING. But, on the other hand, if you are only going to want a few parts chromed, it's not worth it to spend all that money on that system. Bottom line is, I've never seen "real chrome" ever come out of a spraycan. Luckilly for me I don't like chrome anyway =)

#17 ·
smrat said:
...well i think from a distance they look pretty dam good.
Thanks for that smrat. And while you might be right about being acceptable for a typical fair grounds car show, in real life the pieces I did are really quite inferior looking. On top of that, I think you could create something equally "acceptable" just using a $5 spray can versus this $120 aerosol "kit" Alsa sells. I guess for the price I was expecting something a good deal more presentable than Rustoleum Metallic Chrome.

I'm putting the car back together with the Killer Chrome pieces on it, but they will be the first things I replace once the car is done and I start to cycle in new and improved stuff.

#19 · (Edited)
that sprayonchrome looks pretty interesting how the hell can they apply so much have it come out so perfect looking w/o any runs or sags. NO WAY, something not right there. as stated before if you want chrome buy the parts chromed or have them chromed you can't get chrome out of a spray can or an $8000 system

#22 ·
New Alsa system

Alsa has a new chrome system coming out!
An employee of ALSA corporation was here in Hawaii and said they are coming-out with a mini ChromeFX System in cans. He left me some pics which I'll be posting. The company is said will release this complete system for $499 which has everything in it and is PORTABLE with no need for compressors or machines. Let me know what you think and I'll post the pics.
I thought it was pretty hot since I've been seeing mirrachrome for years but have been dreaming of getting the CHROMEFX IN A CAN? It was impossible before because of the silver nitrate chemistry. Man, this is not chrome like Mirrachrome. THIS IS FULL ON CHROME.
The guy says it's patented.
I've been an ALSA fan for years but this has got to be a game changer
THIS DOES EVERYTHING A $20,000 SET UP DOES.
I will try one when it comes out in October

#23 ·
mauiark said:
An employee of ALSA corporation was here in Hawaii and said they are coming-out with a mini ChromeFX System in cans. He left me some pics which I'll be posting. The company is said will release this complete system for $499 which has everything in it and is PORTABLE with no need for compressors or machines. Let me know what you think and I'll post the pics.
I thought it was pretty hot since I've been seeing mirrachrome for years but have been dreaming of getting the CHROMEFX IN A CAN? It was impossible before because of the silver nitrate chemistry. Man, this is not chrome like Mirrachrome. THIS IS FULL ON CHROME.
Sounds too good to be true, I'd like to see results

#25 ·
mauiark said:
Looks like blatant advertising by this member to me. :rolleyes:

#26 ·
mauiark said:
1 whole post so far. Couldn't possibly be a shill... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.