Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Alsa "Killer Chrome" product review
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just wanted to add to this discussion on the Killer Cans. I build plastic models and recently bought 7 cans of their Killer paint and clears plus the Killer Chrome. After almost a years worth of work on 2 of my models I then prepped them for paint according to their guidelines. Well, the paint went on nice other than wasting half of it because of the wide spray pattern. Then it was time for the chrome and as directed I applied it and it came out OK but nowhere near it should have been for the price. Here comes the horror story. I then applied the Lightling Clear which came out beautiful but 3 weeks later it started cracking like ice. On the other model, I had to buy more clear but they replaced the Lighting Clear with Mirra Clear. Talking to Alsa on the phone, their technician told me it was compatible with the paint I already had on the body which was their paint anyway. Applying a couple mist coats then a nice wet coat turned my model and paint into mush. Now I have to models that are ruined.

Now here's the good and most important part. After contacting Alsa, they said they would replace the clear for me but not the paint since their paint was good. What good is clear without paint and why would I chance putting their clear on some other brand of paint?

I have been painting for over 30 years hobby wise and have never had something like this happen. I'm not a master painter but I do know what I'm doing and I can tell you to stay away from their clear.

Oh, I almost forgot, after I had sprayed the Lightning Clear and waited a week I then masked off where I needed to spray the Killer Chrome with liquid masking and drafting tape. When removing the masking after applying the Chrome, some of the clear peeled off with the tape.

Here's a few pics of what happened...

Lightning clear after sitting for 3 weeks. Picture is looking through microscope

MirraClear over 3 week old paint.

Just wanted to let others know what may happen if they use this stuff.