Alsa mirror chrome question........... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 08:02 PM

Last journal entry: 99 soft tail standard I painted
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Alsa mirror chrome question...........

I have painted a freind of mines tank for his 1977 CB 750 Honda.I painted it with the Alsa black base coat,then cleared it with Alsa speed clear.All went well,and it looks killer.The directions say to wait 7 days before applying the mirror chrome,it also says not to scuff or sand the clear.My question is this........

He only wants mirror chrome on parts of the tank.Just on the sides ,in an oval.The mirror chrome will stick to unsanded or unscuffed clear,but will the top coat of clear im going to apply over the mirror chrome and cleared black stick to the unsanded clear?

Thanks in advance,

EVIL

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2007, 08:22 PM

Last journal entry: 99 soft tail standard I painted
Last photo:

heres a pic of the tank.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06-28-07009b.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	22549  
Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

The "idea" is for the clear to be cured so's the "chrome" won't attack it and turn to Aluminum.Weather it takes 7 days or 3 depends on conditions.I wait 3 anyway just to be safe,longer if I have time.
ANY imperfection in the clear WILL show up in the chrome as a defect or effect if you want,so no scratching allowed unless you buff it back out slick.
Adhesion is a gamble at times with these chrome products but the idea is for the top coat of clear to hold it all together. You compromise it,and it could fail.
You could mask off the chrome ovals and scuff the black,reverse mask the black and shoot the chrome,clear,if that makes you feel better. Just more work and you can't mess the black up where ever the chrome goes.
You hammer the clear on too much and the chrome dulls from the solvent.
Mist coats of clear initally to cover it,likely it will dull,scuff with a gray pad and then hammer the clear and it will pop right up.Usually.

Last edited by Bee4Me; 07-05-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

get the tank all chromed, clear it, sand the clear, mask ans spray the black, clear again. basically you will be clearing 3 times. i have a bottle of mirra chrome here. its the first generation. i'm sure its been improved a little but every time i used it i had peeling issues. after i went to an alsa seminar i did notice the instructor sprayed it much more wet than i was. maybe that was the trick. i dont know. i personally dont like the stuff and its way too much work for the effect. as soon as you clear it, it dulls to an aluminum finish with no shine. again i haven't tried the newer versions.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Jim I use the moto chrome from innate... I think all of this type of paint is finicky.. If it the part is not wiped off perfect or if there is anything ( streaks, compound residue) left on it, the chrome wont stick.. I dont know what the long term will be with the chrome paints. but after doing a few sets of bumpers with it, I dont see how anyone can make much money at it.. I think im done with it.. Recently I have had to chrome everything twice to get the look.. meaning go thru the process, clear coat, then buff it outl, then re chrome it, intercoat it, then clear coat... Waaayyyy too much work for what you can charge..

BTW I have the latest generation of the moto chrome.. still super finicky

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.